Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bike Crash Followup Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Bike Crash Followup « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 294

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, thanks to all who gave support during my recent bike crash and consequences. I've had some computer issues too, so not entirely sure which responses came from where...

Anyway, after about 6 weeks, I'm doing a bit better. I had two broken vertebrae and a broken collarbone, and just got out of the arm brace and am weaning from the neck brace. Collarbone is still a bit flexy but making some new bone, according to the X-rays, and neck bones look pretty good. Of course now I get endless physical therapy to get back the movement I lost, but that's relatively minor.

I still have some double vision, tingling in left side, and road rash that seems eternal, still some brain swelling that might relax sooner or later, but I'm alive, walking and talking and essentially in pretty good shape, though it may be a long time before I am able to get back on a bike.

For those who might have missed the intro, on May 5, I was riding my bike as usual, made a left turn signal at an intersection, and apparently did not see the car trying to pass on my left, went right into it. Witnesses say they saw the signal, saw me hit, saw me tumbling down the pavement. Woke up a little under an hour later in the emergency room.

Thanks to all for the support, and I hope I can continue to provide occasional support here.

Matthew

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 335

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep a chin up, Matthew. You've gotten through the worse part, now you just have to let things heal, and get stronger.

My parents lived at a T intersection, and you made a left into their driveway. I don't know how many times I would put on my signal, and some idiot would pass me thinking I was actually going to turn right, and had the wrong signal on. In your case though, the driver was probably not paying attention, and just wanted to get past the slowing biker.

Get well.

PF

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 295

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matthew,

My best wishes for a full and speedy (or as speedy as possible) recovery. I had my share of broken bones but nothing that severe so I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best regards
Martin in Austria

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 132

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where have I been -- I had no idea about your accident. Get well!

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 291

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a NYC biker, I see so many idiots on the raod everyday n feel as if ALL drivers are out to kill bicyclers. On the phone, blowing red lights n stop signs, driving as close to the parked cars as they can, making turns right in front of me, racing me to the corner as they squeeze me in... etc etc etc. JERKS!

Hope you recover soon.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 136

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a former LA biker, I stopped riding more than a decade ago for the same reasons. It has only gotten worse.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1027

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fifty years ago, when I was really into road time trials and riding at least 20/30 miles everyday, the majority of car drivers had gone through cycling to work, using motorbike for same and then buying their first car. Having been on two wheels for many years, they knew what the biker needed and expected from car drivers. Safe times and many happy hours in the saddle. Nowadays many car drivers have never ridden a bike on the major road systems, have no two wheeled sense and are thus a danger in many instances. In 2000 my 16 year old son wanted to follow dad's path down the time trial route. I neither encouraged nor talked him down, but was very relieved when he started riding my mountain bike around the miles of moorland tracks we have around here that are open for this type of cycling. He soon forgot the notion of car dodging on our busy A and B highways - and I was a very relieved father!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration