Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Selling out Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Selling out « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gorali
Tinkerer
Username: Gorali

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I'm a new member, although I have been reading (lurking) for some time. I have an interesting situation and was wondering how some of you might react. I learned how to use a SLR as a student, while studying in the Soviet Union in 1990. It was a Zenit 122K. I have been in and out of photography since then. Jumping ahead to 2012, I have around 13 film cameras and have resisted going digital. In a move to get me with caught up with the times and to clean up the clutter, my wife is willing to authorize $3,000 for a new digital kit. However, it means giving up all but one film camera.

My collection (from memory):
Zenit 122K
Kiev 19
Minolta SRT201-MCII
Canon AE-1
Vivitar V3800N
Canon Rebel 2000
Pentax ZX-M
Pentax ZX-50
Sears KS2
Sears TLS
Yashica FX-3
Fed 5s
Konica Autoreflex T

I'm considering it, although I hate to give up the collection. The Canon EOS 7D with extra lenses does look interesting. I'm thinking of keeping the Vivitar V3800 because it's a decent camera and I have a number of K mount lenses, but, I just got the FX-3 back from a CLA and it looks great. I have an emotional connection to the old Soviet cameras, but getting them serviced is complicated.

My question is, would you do it? Would you give up the collection? If so, what would you buy with $3,000? And, which camera would you keep?

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 137

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd get rid of it all and if restricted to only one film camera... get a Nikon, like a F3.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 185

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it were my collection I would sell it all. The only half interesting camera to play with is the Fed 5 or the Zx-M (since I am a Pentax fan).

Gorali
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, July 09, 2012 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took the ZX-M with me to Jamaica last month with a Pentax SMC 50mm lens. It took some wonderful pictures. That one is tempting to keep, as well.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 298

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd keep the Vivitar as well. Why? Fully mechanical vertical metal blade shutter - up to 1/2000th (that means not dependent on batteries to work. Multi exposure capability, takes K-Mount and you certainly have some fine glass.
I also have a weakness for Russian cameras and own a few but if I had to chose between a Zenit 122K and the Vivitar.. I think the Vivitar and it's various siblings are very, very fine cameras from a users point of view. Collectors might think differently.
I can't give you any tips on what digital to buy. I don't have a digital SLR so I really can't comment here.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 187

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was soured on the Vivitars when I went to a warehouse sale and saw a table full of them all jammed or defective in one way or another which, I believe, had come from a college. The scene left me feeling they were undependable.

Rbrian
Tinkerer
Username: Rbrian

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are looking at getting a digital Canon, then I would keep the Canon Rebel. That way the lenses are interchangable (as long as they are full frame lenses, not DX lenses). Otherwise keep the Pentax ZX-M which is the most modern of your list.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 340

Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was going to say keep the AE-1, but Rbrian makes a good point about the Rebel. I would consider also keeping the 122K. It was the camera you learned to shoot with, and as soon as it's gone, you will want another one (for me, it was the Sears TLS). It took me a while, but I finally got around to buying another TLS for the nostagia factor. So save yourself some money, keep the 122K, and shoot a roll in it every three months to give it some excersize. Along with the Rebel, you would have a mechanical and an electronic model, for whatever mood strikes you at the moment.

PF

Meade
Tinkerer
Username: Meade

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will have a tough time recouping the money you spent on the film cameras especially if you purchased some of them new or had work done on them. I would put them in a display case and when you get the passion back for film you are set to go.

Gorali
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are correct, there is no recouping the costs of the CLA. The AE-1, Minolta SRT, and Yashica FX-3 were all cleaned up within the past 6 months. They look and operate great. I had no intention of giving them up, and I have not lost my passion for film, but the deal is if I want to have a shiny new DSLR and lens, then I have to give up all but one film camera. I was just reaching out to see what all of you thought of this deal. Would you agree, and if so, which camera would you keep? I don't think that there is a particularly valuable camera in my collection, but they are solid cameras and a pleasure to hold and to use.

As you can probably tell, I've sold out and ordered a Canon 5D Mark II. I'm still trying to make up my mind on the film camera to keep. Logically, the Vivitar V3800N seems to keep bubbling to the top. But you all have me thinking about the Rebel, too. Then I think back to buying the Zenit 122K at the camera store near Novy Arbat in Moscow and learnig how to use it and old ORWO film. This is going to be more difficult than I anticipated!

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 295

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can sort of understand your wife's point of view, but wonder if there's a compromise here, since the value of the cameras is so low. Could you agree to put them away in a big box somewhere with review to wait until a few years down the road? There must be a way to get the clutter cleaned up without actually disposing of them all.

If you're planning to keep going with film, including the possibility of more lenses, and not going to swap lenses between film and digital (i.e. skipping the Rebel option), I might consider the Minolta. A nice old camera for which good glass is still fairly abundant and cheap, and which, if it goes bad, can be replaced with a big selection of other cameras that use the same glass.

But ultimately it's probably a matter of sentiment. If you change your mind later, other film cameras can probably be found.

Gorali
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, a shiny new Canon 5D Mark II arrived yesterday. There are lots of buttons and levers to learn. I'm not convinced yet that this is better than film. I see convenience in having your pictures available right away. The only thing that I am impressed with (besides the cost of the camera and lens) is the ability to shoot in extremely low light without a flash.

As for the film cameras, I've found a friend who wants to learn photography so I'm turning over the lot to him. I've pulled out the 3 Russian cameras for now until I can narrow down the choice.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 343

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if your friend can't learn about photography with that collection, no one can. Good you found a home for them. As far as your narrowing it down to three models, I still say keep the 122K. Unless you have more options in lenses/accessories with one of the others. But being your first camera, it should be at the top of the list.

PF

K1111
Tinkerer
Username: K1111

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm seller of antique from Georgia. I have interesting photo camera for sale .
it is photo camera ROLAND (Ser. No. S 995) with 1:2,7/70 mm. Kleinbild-Plasmat lens.

There are engraved “F.Deckel Munchen” and “Compur – rapid” on the front side.

On the circle around lens is engraved – "Kleinbild-Plasmat, Dr. P. Rudolph, D.R.P. Berlin. 1:2,7/70 mm.
Nr. 38060".

There is a stamp "Made in Germany D.R.G.M." on the leather case.

It is made in 1930s.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s80/aisi_2007/photo1/R-5-1_zpsd211966c.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration