Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

620 vs. 120 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » 620 vs. 120 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Startrek
Tinkerer
Username: Startrek

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I just found this forum. Lots of good info here. I'm bidding on a kodak Senior six 20. It calls for 620 film obviously; but I saw another camera on Ebay that showed the inside of the back cover; and that said to use 620. But it had a roll of 120 in it. Will they interchange?

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 141

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure about that camera, but sometimes they do intercahnge and other times they don't. More often thean not, though, they don't interchange at all, or don't interchange well. The big problem is that the winder on 620 is a lot smaller than the winder on 120. Also the diameter of the spools are different, but that is often receified with a pair of scissors to trim the 120 spool diameter. It could be that you saw 120 film respooled on 620 spools.

Startrek
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. Do you where I can get 620 B&W at a reasonable price? Besides B&H, and Central Camera?

Brianshaw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 142

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't really exist at a reasonable price. 620 spools can be found on eBay, and 120 film can be found at a reasonable price. Respooling requires a changing bag or darkroom... and about 8.36 minutes of your time. That is just an estimate, of course. :-)

Upnorthw
Tinkerer
Username: Upnorthw

Post Number: 22

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the step by step on respooling 120 to 620.
Wes
http://www.brownie-camera.com/respool/respool.shtml

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Startrek, keep your eyes open at garage sales, flea markets, thrift shops, auctions, etc. I have bought a lot of 50 cents to 2 dollar old box cameras that had 620 spools in them. Typically the spools appear to go for about 3 dollars apiece on Ebay.

The numbers that show up in the red window are the same for 120 and 620, so as others have said, the film and paper backing are the same for 120 and 620.

Freestyle is another source for 120 film.

I picked up a Senior 620 and had to clean the shutter as it was sticking on the low speeds, which is real typical for cameras of that age. Make sure the bellows don't leak light and you should be good to go with rewound film.

Good luck

Startrek
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone! Very good instructions Upnorthw. Thanks again. I won the bid. Now I'm just waiting.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 238

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly this has been said before. Regarding the comment made by Denny about light tight bellows. The best check is a dark room. Camera back open, shine a torch in. Even the smallest of pin pricks will be revealed.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 357

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found that I can sand down the ends of the 120 rolls, so they will fit in the space of the 620 rolls, and therefore, don't have to respool anything. But I make sure I get my 620 spools back from the lab. And I'm thinking of making adapters for the sanded down 120's so I can use them on the take-up side. That way, if the lab screws up, I won't lose anymore 620 spools.

PF

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 114

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2012 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Following up on Barnum's comment, I use a MagLite and screw the heat all the way of so that the bulb is completely exposed. Then in the darkroom just move the light fore and aft and any pinholes will light right up.

I did try a 120 spool in my Senior 620 and no way will it fit, so trimming or sanding will be necessary. Keep in mind, after sanding a 120 down to fit, there isn't the "safety factor" of the flange extending significantly past the film, so keep it in minimal light until loaded. Basically don't trim any further than necessary to avoid the possibility of edge fogging.

And finally, if you don't process the film yourself as Br1078lum indicated, try to get the 620 take up spool back. I have read where some even go to the extent of re-rolling the exposed film back onto a 120 spool if they aren't sure of getting the spool back.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 143

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I even go to the extent of re-rolling the exposed film back onto a 120 spool to never have to worry about getting the spool back.

Re: sanding the spools -- just cut them with scissors. Its faster, cleaner, and faster. Curved "toe nail" scissors works good for that.

Just because it fits doesn't mean it will work. Note the difference in the size difference between the 620 and 120 spool slot and driving mechanism. The 620 is much smaller than 120 and sometimes won't transport the film, or does for a few frames then jams. Some cameras are sid to not have this issue but many do.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration