Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Folder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Voigtlander Folder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry_bee
Tinkerer
Username: Harry_bee

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really embarrassing question - but I have collected a few roll film cameras. I am yet to get around to using any of them. I recently picked up Voigtlander Folder. I can't work out the year yet but it has film in it:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/lordsoandso/004-1.jpg

Does that cross in the counter window signify the film is at the end or the beginning? I don't want to take it out without knowing what to do and potentially ruin a film with a story to tell.

Assume I'm an idiot and please tell me what I do next! :-O)

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 201

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the end. Wind it up and keep looking in the red window just in case.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 215

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's an unusual back. Never have seen that before. Is it a Bessa 46 or 66 ?
With my Perkeo's and Bessa I a visible cross indicates that the window is closed by a lid inside which can be turned by a knob on the back.
However your folder might be different.

Harry_bee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks both. I hope there is film - I love cameras with secrets.

It just says Bessa on the back, I can't identify the model yet. There is a knob, but it is not going to turn for me. The wind wheel only goes anti-clockwise and I'm not sure if there is anything turning inside. I may have to try a change bag then. I will try to find the model / handbook first.

Thanks for the help.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 218

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The back looks like it was modified at some point in time. Until now all the pre-war Bessa's 6x6 i saw had a red window in the middle probably at the spot were that roundel is on your camera.

There were pre-war Bessa's with an automatic film stop and double exposure prevention so this could be the case with yours.

Harry_bee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is an interesting point. Having dug a bit more, it looks like the Bessa 46 you suggest, but the slider on the top plate is on the front on the others I have seen, and mine has a different lever on the front I cannot match elsewhere. I now realise the filter has snapped off! I always choose the sick puppies..

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 220

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks a bit like the "Baby" Bessa 46 or 66 with hood, second model build from 1940 till 1943.
If you have access to Claus Prochnows "Voigtländer Report 3" you'll find it on page 34-856.

The back on your Baby Bessa doesn't have the red window in the middle so my guess is that it is a Bessa 46 (with hood, second model) because your window will show the 4,5x6 film frame numbers.

According to Prochnows article it has indeed an automatic filmtransport stop and double exposure prevention.

I don't have a manual but guess that there must be a filmframe counter. In your case probably till 16.

More photos of front and top would help !

Harry_bee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I don't have that book, sadly. Here is the front. I cannot match this to any photos of other Bessas yet - the level on the front is different and the slider is on the rear. Otherwise, everything looks like a 46.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34447130@N05/7902844740/in/photostream

That URL might need copying into the address bar. The knob on the rear does turn the door over the red window as you suggested, and yes, there is no film. It all looks good inside. Leather ok, slow speeds a bit sticky but otherwise fine.

I just want to understand the levers before I try running a film through it. Thank you for all your advice, it is much appreciated!

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 222

Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had a look at your Flickr image
. That part sticking out at the front is weird indeed.
That is normally the place were on the first model would be the slider for Double Exposure Prevention.
Maybe you have a camera which is a mix-up of parts from first and second model whereby the topcover is from the second model with a hole made for the front slider ??

Guess that normal operation would be that you put a filmroll inside, close the back, wind on till you see number 1 in the red window and then reset the counter (probably with slide on the back). But i'm not sure as i also have no manual.

Harry_bee
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you are right. Someone worked hard to keep it going; I will try to do the same!

The slow speeds are a bit sticky but I'll give it a CLA and put a film through. Thanks for your help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration