Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Bessa T grip Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Voigtlander Bessa T grip « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 56

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After spending a few hours downtown doing some street photography, I finally decided to do something about the overall feel of my Bessa T.

While I love the camera small size, it was giving my hand significant discomfort. As I use a wrist strap rather than a neck strap just letting it hang from the one strap lug wasn't preferable. I wasn't please with anything I saw in terms of a grips on both the cost front or the design front so I decided to make one based on my needs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msteen1314/7981287490/in/photostream

Very please with the overall results as it gives a very relaxed grip with little to no change of death grip fatigue.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 373

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks great. Was this the first one, or a variation? How did you decide on the distance for the grip from the body?

PF

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much.

This was actually the first working model, although I had various set-ups to try. The dowel was 3/4 inch which for me is best. Too many cameras now have only token grips which I find too uncomfortable over time. If it's called a grip then I want to be able to grip it.

Being made of maple, it has a little heft and being a hard wood, I'd expect it to age quite well.

While it is very plain, it serves the purpose with no frills and distractions. This was designed based purely on the functionality and it's form followed.

I did however want to make sure that the actual grip did not touch the camera body as not to cause wear over time. There is a small amount of flex, which is great as it gives you positive feedback that you are actually holding something that's responding to varying grip pressure. The gap between the grip and the body is about 1/16 of an inch.

Looking forward to how it ages.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration