Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Funny anecdote about an old camera an... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Funny anecdote about an old camera and smoke « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 81

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Just a funny anecdote from today.
I'm an electrical engineer and for years I was a technical trainer for an electronics company. I was always joking and saying "All electronics components are made out of smoke. You just don't let it out. If the smoke goes out you won't be able to get it back in"
Well, today I was curious about a Minolta Maxxum 5000 I got a while ago. This is a first generation autofocus camera so not exactly vintage in the context of this forum, but quite old by today's standards. The camera seemed to have been in storage for years. Some minor corrosion in the battery contacts. Minor disassembly, cleaned it and put fresh batteries.
So far so good.
Turned it on and it did turn on!
So far so good.
Snapped a picture, it worked!
So far so good
There was a roll inside, who knows since when.
Rewounded it and it works!
So far... so good!

Then.... (drumroll please) the dreaded smell of burn electronics and...
You guessed it: heavy smoke coming out of the camera!
I did some disassembly but having no schematics and no idea, closed it again. So this one will go in the "Show but no go" shelf.
:-)
Just wanted to share with you.

Thanks,
Ismael

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 147

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny sad story. I can smell the smoke all the way over here.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 224

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Same thing happened to a Nikon MD-14 motor winder I have. Fortunately for you, the Minolta is nearly worthless. I have lots of Maxxum bodies around here, most working, that I don't know what to do with them. I keep selling the lenses since people still want to buy them. If there weren't code enforcement around here I might try building a wall with concrete using the camera bodies as "bricks".

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 226

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That also reminds me of a Minolta point and shoot AF that needed a minor repair (think it needed the viewfinder cleaned). It was not the best model but pretty nice. Anyway, my father wanted to discharge the flash capacitor for safety sake before I poked around in there but this camera wasn't built for standard operating procedure. It looked like a lightning storm got set off inside that camera. Needless to say, the camera didn't work afterwards.

Ismael: I found that Practica that I offered you last year.

Frank Wilson (Wolfmancameras)
Apprentice
Username: Wolfmancameras

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tiny motors work for a very short time since sitting so long with moisture/corrosion in them. Once the voltage gets to the motor they will smoke and short out. I use to rebuild automotive starters and if any armatures sat for nearly a year we would go through them again to make sure they were still good to use. Moisture in the windings will destroy these armatures very easy along with high temperatures from stowage. The smaller the motor the quicker they will fry
FRANK

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration