Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus C3 back on the street Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Argus C3 back on the street « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 82

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Just want to share this with you.
I recently acquired an Argus C3. It was dirty but operational. Who knows how many years it's been in a attic or a basement! Just a careful cleaning, some dry run practice and off we went to test it.
My research indicates it was built in 1947.
This link is for an article I wrote with the details and many pictures. The article is in spanish but the pictures will tell the story. The first set of pictures is the camera as it was received, then a set after cleaning and finally the results of the roll.

http://www.portadafotografica.com/showthread.php?1443-Argus-C3-Pieza-importante- en-la-historia-de-la-fotografķa

I noticed that in backlit conditions or very bright subjects (last 3 pictures) the center of the image is overexposed. Is this flare? or just user error estimating the exposure? What is curious is that only the center of the image is overexposed.
I would like to know your opinion and comments on this.

Thanks!
Ismael

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 66

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think that has anything to do with the lens. It looks like a light leak to me.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 229

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2012 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a "flare" like that when I shot against the sun through a window once with my C3. I like your photo of the roadside and the 2nd photo of the waterfall. Is that "spot" a bird at the top of the photo with the boy?

I'm still working on your Maxxum request.

Ismaelg
Tinkerer
Username: Ismaelg

Post Number: 83

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I first thought light leak but it only happened in a few frames throughout the roll. I took notes on aperture and shutter speeds used and those parameters were repeated in some shots without problems. I think overexposure may have triggered this since I was not using a meter for proper exposure.
Does it makes sense?
Finnegan, yes, that black spot seems to be one of those pesky little crows. At first I thought it was some sort of defect in the negative.

Thanks,

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 103

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those old C3's are really rather wonderful cameras... Nothing fancy, a little odd looking, but they just keep on shooting, and they do it quite well.
Very nice pics! You have a good eye.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I cleaned up two of them 2 months ago. Real easy.

On one the slow-speed escapement was frozen due to dried out grease/oil. The other had dirt between the shutter blades.

They're un-ergonomic in shape, but they're practically indestructable and the lens is great too

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration