Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Standard Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Agfa Standard « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Borgeh
Tinkerer
Username: Borgeh

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last week I won an auction and bought a Agfa Standard roll film camera. The lens is an Anastigmat Trilinear 4.5/10.5cm.

When I got I found that the focusing mechanism was stuck with the green Agfa grease. I used a hair-dryer and the mechanism came loose. I used white spirit and 555-spray and tried to clean it.

But now I noticed that the shutter is very slow and sometimes is stuck. Often it will not close. It opens but sometimes it malfunctions. When I spray it with solvent 555 the shutter closes fine. Could it also be filled with dirt?

I have now dis-mantled the lenses from the front and in the camera. I have taken the shutter with aperture and focusing mechanism from the camera. But how can I separate them and open the shutter to clean it? It looks like the shutter should be open from the back, the focusing helix. I see three screws. The shutter actuator is mounted on the front of it to the left. Above it on the side is the thread-actuator. There is the three leaf symbol AGC for the shutter company on the front to the right, but no text. Only "Agfa" text on the shutter timing setting arm. I guess there is no way to open the shutter from the front.

Shall I try to pry loose the lens tube with the shutter from the focusing mechanism? I canīt find any fasting screws.

I plan to clean the shutter mechanism when I can open it. I am not sure if I have to change anything. Perhaps some spring? Is there anything else a beginner like me should do?

Borgeh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is solved!

I rinsed with, help of a syringe, the shutter blades with white spirit. Some dirt flushed out. I injected the fluid at the time adjustment lever. I then dried the shutter and aperture blades with a hair dryer. I think I remembered reading somewhere that the blades are made of paper. I guess the were larger before after absorbing the liquid. They dried up quickly and the shutter started to work!!

So if you have problems with these kind of shutters, make sure that the blades donīt absorb liquid or cleaning oil.

I enclose some pictures of the finished parts. I greased the focus helical with long distance tractor grease!

I later cleaned the lenses, which are fine, and put everything together. Now it is time to try a roll of Tri-X in my "new" camera.

Borgeh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pictures:

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 316

Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats with the repair. Looks like a nice camera. Next time you have a similar problem it might be better to put your question in the maintainance and repair section.
Best regards and enjoy your Agfa
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration