Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Old plate cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Old plate cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

The_pirate
Tinkerer
Username: The_pirate

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi -
I'm Kim from Denmark, and this is my first post! I've been lurking for some time...

I need a tiny bit of help!

A couple of months back, a friend of mine had to clear his house after a divorce. He handed me a big box of camera gear, that he could not find use or space for.

On the bottom of the box, i found three wonderful old plate cameras, probably dating between 1919 - 1926: A 'Welta' sports camera, a Contessa-Nettel, and a unknown camera, that could have been either. There is photos of them at my website: http://pirat.snotboble.net/files/ - the file in question is "Old_cam.zip"

The cameras seem to be in full working condition! The bellows are still OK, shutter and aperture in pristine condition... the only problems is that in one of the cameras, the focusing screen is broken (minor problem!) - and i don't have any film cassettes!

I would like to try one of these, and i can probably find film cassettes on eBay... but i don't know what to ask for!

Can one (or more) of you please help? What is the name for these cassettes?

All i have is some measures - they seem to be the same for all 3 cameras:
The opening for the film/focus screen is 88mm Wide, and 114 mm high.
The edge of the cassette (that slides into the recess on the camera) is 1 mm thick, 99 mm wide and 125 mm high.
The total height is the same as the camera, 150 mm, and 106 mm wide.

There is a picture of two focus screens with the pics of the camera: one is made of metal, the other of wood. And covered with genuine leather...

Please help, Obi Wan - you are our last remaining... err, oops (Hrm!) wrong movie...

Can anyone help, please?

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are nice looking cameras. If you really want to shoot sheet film in them you will need 9x12 sheet film or cut film holders. I believe there are still one or two European companies that sell film in that size. An easier and somewhat more practical alternative is to find a roll film holder or adapter that will allow you to use still-available 120 roll film. I believe Rada, Suydam and Rollex all made 120 roll film adapters in the 9x12 size.

The_pirate
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply!

Film is not a problem: there is a lot of sizes avaliable, in 25 and 50 sheet packages (at a price!)

The 120 adapters are a good idea, but they cost more, than i want to stick in the project.

The real problem: what is film cassettes, fitting these cameras, called? E.g "9x12cm Fidelity" or "4x5 inch for Linhof" "13x18cm for Planar"....

Zombicams
Tinkerer
Username: Zombicams

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No name brand really. We just call them plate holders or cut film holders abbreviated CFH.

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 73

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The correct size is 9x12. You need to look for film holders from the period when the cameras were made. Most brand holders from that time are interchangeable including Kodak, Zeiss and Voigtlander. The earliest holders were made to accomodate glass plates and they need an insert to properly position film sheets at the focal plane. The later holders built for film have a pressure plate which holds the film at the proper position.

Ebay scammers often try to sell film holders and adapters for rediculously high prices. If you are patient you should not need to pay more than a couple dollars for film holders, and 120 adapters typically sell in the $30-$50 range.

The_pirate
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right! That was just what i needed! :-)

I have checked eBay - there is a lot of auctions on the German site (i live 25 km. from the border, and there is no eBay in Denmark) and plate holders often go for 1 - 3€ each.

I looked for 120 Adapters, too, and they tend to reach 120 - 160€. That's a bit stiff for me.

I think i'll grab one or two plate holders, and then see how things go. There is plenty of time, i intend to use the winter darkness to quietly restore these old beauties.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration