Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Foth Flex Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Foth Flex « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikevernon
Tinkerer
Username: Mikevernon

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently bought a Foth-Flex 1, an unusual german TLR from 1935 with a focal plane shutter.

Unfortunately somebody has repainted it, badly, but everything seems intact underneath the black goo.

My first problem is that I can't see how the viewing hood is supposed to open. It may be just gummed up with paint, or there may be a hidden catch somewhere.

The second problem is that I don't understand all the levers and buttons associated with the shutter release. They all seem to move and spring back again, and one of them activates a mechanical timer of around 2 seconds when the release lever is pressed, but the shutter doesn't operate.

Are there any owners out there who can explain?

Karl
Tinkerer
Username: Karl

Post Number: 66

Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mikevernon I have the same model and as I remember the wind on dial is at the very bottom on the controls side. The round dial is "springy", you need to turn the dial in one complete motion all the way round until the shutter cocks. Then use the lever above the shutter cable thread or use the shutter cable.
By the way, some one painted mine the same too.

Mikevernon
Tinkerer
Username: Mikevernon

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Karl
Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I thought that lever was most likely to be the shutter release.
I can rotate the bottom dial and there is some spring resistance before it comes to a stop, but the shutter doesn't fire. I suppose th next step is to start dismantling the shutter mechanism.
Has anybody tackled a similar job?

Hein
Tinkerer
Username: Hein

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have dismantled a Foth Flex completely some days ago and documented the whole process, see:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+Foth+Flex+TLR+Camera+Complete+Overhaul/158 87/1

Good luck!

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 80

Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2013 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Terrific documentation on fixing that interesting old camera.

Hein
Tinkerer
Username: Hein

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration