Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mystery Notches Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Mystery Notches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 77

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted this query recently in the 828 Group at Flickr, but there seems to be only me and one other guy there and an answer to the question seems unlikely.

828 Verichrome Pan

In a full-frame image from my Flash Bantam you can see two little bumps in the image along the upper right border of the image. Those two bumps correspond to two little notches in the frame mask. My pre-war Bantam 4.5 has the same notches and so does the Bantam Special from the same era.

It turns out that the little notches are not exclusive to the Bantam line. My two Kodak 35 cameras have them too -- though in one case there are three notches rather than two.

So what was Kodak up to here? Was the purpose to embed some kind of code in the image on the film? Were the notches a kind of artifact of the construction/assembly process? I'm stumped.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 506

Posted on Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May have been some sort of code that Kodak used when post-processing the film, which determined what type of slide mount was used (on chromes). Could also be convenient to the owner to know what camera they used. I've seen negs from other cameras with similar markings, and then there are the Agfa's that just had a ruffle edge. I don't think it wound up being an industry-wide practice, Mike, though it does mimic the knotches on large format film.

PF

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 78

Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you are likely on the right track with those ideas. The first thing that came to me was the notches on sheet film, but those would have produced black bumps intruding on the image area. As I recall from my early darkroom days, those notches were mainly for properly positioning the emulsion side of the sheet film in the holders.

If the purpose was to encode information for something like slide mounting, it seems like it would have to involve some optical sensing and automated processing. I guess that was a possibility in the late 1930s, though I've never seen any good descriptions of Kodak's processing technology from that era. I guess I could try to contact the Kodak museum in Rochester to see what they have on the subject.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Newspapers notched them so that the layout guys and
printers knew which photographer to credit.
Best regards,
/Clay

Biloraguy
Tinkerer
Username: Biloraguy

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clay is right. I remember big city press photogs filing notches in their Rolleiflexes so people knew the film came from their camera not somebody else's. I assume they did it earlier to Speed Graphics, too.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration