Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Worst Day Ever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Worst Day Ever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Went in to the large warehouse store here with a half dozen rolls of film as i have been doing for the last 20 years and the man behind the photo counter says they don't develop film anymore. What a bummer.

One90guy
Tinkerer
Username: One90guy

Post Number: 44

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't do color but B/W is easy to develop with minimum equipment or cost. Did you scan your negatives, if not then they would be a problem. I gave up on walmart, the only C-41 developer anywhere close to me several years ago. I do all color in digital and film for B/W. Good luck on finding a solution.

David

Mikeb
Tinkerer
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take a lot of digital pics too, but I enjoy running a roll or two every month through my treasured film cameras.

Truthfully there are still a lot of places nearby that develop film, but the warehouse place was convenient, reliable, and had a good price. They even offered one-hour service, something I'm sure is rapidly disappearing.

So I took the film over to another store, similar to a Wal-Mart but not as big.
The guys said the developing machine was broke at the moment but they expect it to be repaired soon. I said no worries, I'll pick it up whenever it's ready.

Got a call from the store last night, they say the machine ate a roll of my film but the other 5 are ok. I actually turned in 7 rolls, I wonder what happened to number 7.

Guess I'm still looking for a new place to get my film developed.

One90guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope you are to recover you film, Walmart gave me someone else's negatives once, took several days but finally got mine back. My main complaint was trash on the negatives. I have a pharmacy within walking distance but there color developing always had a blue or pink color cast, gave up there after 2 rolls.

David

Jagstang
Tinkerer
Username: Jagstang

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to go to a local chain drug store 5 minutes away. I started noticing weird streaks in my film, no matter the camera. Hmm. Then I had a roll turn out completely blue; not just a cast but like a thick blue filter on it! They apologized, comped the dev cost. Two rolls later, the same thing happened to two more rolls; pictures totally blue. No idea what went wrong (possibly chemical depletion/expiration due to lack of use) but that was the end of using the chain drug store.

Now I drive 30 minutes to a local camera shop in the city. It takes more time and costs a little more, but my prints always look awesome and I've never had a roll ruined or scratched.

Jimmyh
Tinkerer
Username: Jimmyh

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel for you, Mike. Last week our local Sam's Club closed the photo department for remodeling, and when they reopened it was now a Digital Photo Center with no film developing...

I think a few store locally still have film processing, I'll have to look around.

Jorgea
Tinkerer
Username: Jorgea

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a huge reason to choose a different way to develop your films/pictures

One90guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 56

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Took some color film for my grandson to our local Walmart, now they no longer develop film. Have a drug store within walking distance but the only time I used them all the negatives had a pink cast. Used them again and they did a good job. The closest camera shop is a 2 hour drive one way, so a visit there is rare, been about 2 years.

David

Jeffk
Tinkerer
Username: Jeffk

Post Number: 88

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there good mail-in processing options in the U.S.? I have exactly one shop within a dozens-of-miles radius that processes film in-house, and eventually they will probably cut out that service (like when the machine breaks and they don't want to pay to fix it), at which point it will make more sense to mail the film to some central shop.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 141

Posted on Friday, June 28, 2013 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, KS has a good reputation with the local film shooters around here.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Good Luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration