Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

"Made in Ryukyu" Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » "Made in Ryukyu" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Subajogu
Tinkerer
Username: Subajogu

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I am a long time resident of Okinawa, who works for the US military. I have recently been bitten by the film photography bug and heard about a couple cameras, the New Pax and the Petri 7, (or at least a version of the Petri 7) that were made in Okinawa during the 1960's. I understand that both are extremely rare but I was able to find a classic camera store in Naha City that had one of each on display. The New Pax had "Made in Okinawa" stamped on the back of it and the Petri 7 had "Made in Ryukyu" engraved on the bottom of the body. Of course, neither camera was for sale. Too bad for me but I'm wondering if anyone in this community knows anything about the New Pax camera or if anyone even has one? This camera has peaked my interest because it was made locally and was sold to US military personnel. Please see the following link for an article in a local newspaper on the "Phantom Camera." Thanks

http://english.ryukyushimpo.jp/2011/06/08/1079/

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 276

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old transistor radio made in Ryukyu.

I think, if you haunt eBay long enough, you may find one without it being advertised as such because many people who don't know cameras make a side income by buying things at people's estate sales then listing on eBay and many ex-military, who bought these cameras in those old days, are dying daily.

Subajogu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finnegan, thanks for the reply. I think it is cool that you have a radio that was made in Ryukyu because not too many electronic products were manufactured here. I think that even holds true today. The more I think about it, the more I want to collect items such as these. Scouring eBay and other sites is a good idea. I have already begun my search but I guess I just have to be patient, thanks.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 277

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2013 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I remember it, the radios are not prized like the cameras so are still "cheap" which is one reason I haven't rushed to sell it.

Subajogu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading your post, I did a quick search for Ryukyuan antiques and found a couple radios, probably like the one that you have, and a plethora of postage stamps, but no cameras.

The radios were no doubt cheaply made back then but after talking with the owner of the classic camera store, I learned that the New Pax camera was "not that good" either. I can imagine the camera as well as the radio were cheaply made during a time when the island was recovering from war and still administered by the US military. I think that is part of the draw for my wanting to find the camera though, and thus, the search continues!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration