Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Buster Brown 2A and Kodak Autog... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Ansco Buster Brown 2A and Kodak Autographic 2A « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 336

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 05, 2013 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently, I bought a Kodak Autographic 2A and an Ansco Buster Brown 2A box camera. Looking them up online, everyone seems to believe they took 116 film. However, mine each had perfectly fitting 118 film spools in them. I'd like to make adapters for 120 film, but I can't find another vintage pair of 118 film spools (I've worked out how to make a really good set of adapters using the ends of two 118 film spools). Does anyone know if the ends of 116 film spools are the same size?

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 115

Posted on Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might not be the answer you were looking for but here's a guy who used some plastic drinking straw pieces to make the spacers to fit a regular 120 roll in a 118 camera. He did use the 118 spool on the take-up side.

http://coolframe.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/kodak-autographic-nr-3-model-h/

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 337

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I do is to use two 1/16 inch thick washers, one with a 1/8 inch hole and one with a 3/8 inch hole, a common nail, a small piece of steel shim and the end of a 118 film spool. You cut off most of the shaft of the nail, leaving about 3/8 of an inch. Of that 3/8 of an inch, you use a rotary tool and a cut-off wheel to split the end of the shaft for 1/8 inch. you cut a groove across the head of the nail that is about 1/16 inch wide, like the slot in the head of a screw. The head of the nail goes into the washer with the 3/8 inch hole. The shaft goes through the 1/8 inch hole. Epoxy everything together. and make sure the head of the nail is flush with the washer. Cut a piece of steel shim that will fit into the split end of the nail and engage the end of the 120 film spool. Epoxy that into place and, finally, epoxy the end of a 118 film spool over the washer and end of the nail with the grooved head, so the lug hole in the film spool lines up with the slot in the end of the nail. That gives you an extremely solid and durable adapter that is very nearly all steel and that works very well.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 338

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like this: http://tinyurl.com/mlewwye

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 339

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My question remains: are the ends of 116 film spools the same size as the ends of 118 spools?

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 626

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The end of the 116 spool is 1.24in, or 31.6mm. The spool diameter is 0.45in, or 11.5mm. Length of the spool is 2.85in, or 72.5mm. I don't have a 118 spool to compare it with.

PF

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 265

Posted on Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A comparison with these images should give you a good clue :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/heritagefutures/4941553938/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37685676@N00/6078290427/

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 340

Posted on Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hanskerensky, that's as close as makes no difference. I've gone ahead and bought three rolls of expired 116. I'll be using the ends of the spools to make adapters.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration