Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica MAT 124 G Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Collector's Lounge » Yashica MAT 124 G « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Palface
Tinkerer
Username: Palface

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased this camera new in the mid-seventies. I only used it once. I recently began liquidating my photo equip and sold the MAT 124 on e-BAy. To my kowledge it was all working except for the meter which needed a new battery. The buyer is returning it because he claims the shutter speed setting dial does not move. I told him I would look at it and/or send it out for repair. Any suggestions? I am mechanically inclined and feel confident to tackle a reasonably complicated procedure. Or is WD40 in the equation? Just kidding. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming your buyer actually meant that the shutter appears to be stuck on a certain speed, I would assume that the shutter mechanism has 'seized', due to inactivity.

You could try working the shutter a good few times, sometimes this can free up the mechanism. However, the best course of action would be to give the camera a CLA. I think you will find all you need to do this in the archives.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 192

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everything on eBay "was working the last time I used it." :-)

Unless you buy it from me. Then it is just working now.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 680

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any reason for exhuming this thread? It went nowhere in '06, so will be even more irrelevant in '09.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 199

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Glenn, I must congratulate you for noticing this.

There are a few reasons. In no particular order, the first is to further expand on what was mentioned in "Are you a "new member" too?" that there are lots and lots of messages from years ago that were never put into the archives. Yeah, I'm a fussbudget. It is part of a larger concern about all websites having their quirks or lack of upkeep which will lead to mankind's downfall some day considering the heavy reliance on computers and everyone's belief in their unerring accuracy.

Next, I noticed this forum moves slowly when no one makes a new posting. Some of the forums don't get a new posting for days. So, making a new posting keeps things rolling. But, on a completely different tangent, I notice that my postings have an "ego stimulating irritative effect" such that someone simply must reply in order to move their name to the top of the list and blot out mine (no reference to anyone in particular). As someone who studies human behavior for marketing purposes you can't imagine how fascinating this "effect" is.

And, finally, it is just cool when someone jumps right in answering without looking at the original posting date. :-)

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 682

Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 'members' of this forum owe a great deal to Margaret Mak and Henry Taber for making this very useful facility available to all and sundry, without the rigmarole some similar sites seem to insist on. As has been explained before, the 'new member' designation and the seeming anomaly with the archive dates, are down to the change in software/provider - necessary to keep the forum up and running. No great deal in my book.

As for site upkeep - I am sure Margaret has has more important things to do with her time, than spend hours cleaning out rubbish that might be posted here. To this end, and because the members needing help find the site so useful, it appears to me that all the users here tend to self 'regulate' their postings. sensible questions are asked, and pertinent answers given or the questioner is pointed in the right direction. On the few occasions when a blatant misuse of the forum becomes apparent, a quick PM to Margaret Mak allows her to sort it out immediately - just in case she has not seen the offending post/s.

Of course the forum moves slowly at times, faults, problems or restorations do not follow regular timetables so this is only to be expected. However It is certainly not one of those social networking sites full of inane chatter and rubbish, that is why the lounge section was added - to allow more general conversations on the topic of photography.

I am certainly in no 'top of the postings race' nor does my ego need 'stimulating'. I offer what help I can on this forum because many years ago, a couple of very busy repairmen bothered to take the time out and explain the intricacies of camera/optical repairs to a very green university student. After a lifetime in and around the subject, I am just repaying the debt in the best way I know.

If this forum starts to fill up with non-topical or rubbishy chit-chat, it will cease to become the useful tool to those with problems - in fact the forum will go down the very road that Tom_cheshire has concerns about - joining the hundreds of others (covering all topics) that are full of plain rubbish and inaccuracies.

Of course I can solve this by not looking at any posts showing Tom's name, a simple solution yes, but in doing that somebody's cry for help may be missed.

Perhaps I am the only one who feels this way? However, as others have said, this forum has always been a friendly place and compared with most others has been free of egocentrics (up to now anyway).

I will end on a completely off topic note - perhaps when this Planet of ours runs out of all raw materials, so the marketing media cannot continue to sell to the idiotic masses something else they do not need, mankind just might be better off. You see Tom, in my chosen profession I saw the real harm and depravation that your chosen profession brings upon certain classes of society. Don't get me wrong total equality will never exist, but strict regulation of the marketing/advertising sector could save an awful lot - both for the planet and mankind.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration