Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How do I attach bellows to camera body? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » How do I attach bellows to camera body? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Hodges

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Friends, I have a growing inventory of folding cameras, many with shot bellows. Can any of you give me the name of a good supplier as to replacement bellows? Thanks, Bill

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,

Do not know where you have pitched your developing tent, but I know of a very good supplier in the UK. I have dealt with them a number of times and their work is first rate and very good value. If you do not get fixed up, contact me for their details and more info.

Glenn.

Mary

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, i dont know if you are the right person to come to but oh well, i'll give it a try. I resently inherited some old german cameras from my great aunt and was intersented to learn more about them. the most interesting one has a lens that comes out like an acordian and has the words "precisa" and "reir" in the exterior and "compur" and "f. decker-munchen" on the lens. i have tried looking up antique german cameras on the internet but have not been able to find what i am looking for. i hope someone can help.
-mary

Peter Wallage

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sverre,
Just to add to what Winfried said about springs, Piano wire isn't all that easy to find from piano tuners because quite often they themselves aren't all that easy to find, and they usually keep only sufficient for their own use. I have found that model shops that cater for flying model aircraft people usually have a good stock of the equivalent of piano wire.

For very light springs, such as some of the hairsprings inside leaf shutters, I find that steel guitar strings are useful. (I play guitar, and if I need a piece of wire and haven't got any it's an incentive for me to change the strings, usually overdue.) You can buy steel guitar strings down to 0.009in diameter very cheaply, and you don't have to buy a set of set of six as most shops stock individual strings.

You may want to harden and temper the spring when you've shaped it as guitar strings are tempered quite soft to avoid breaking at the tuning head.

I usually harden by heating to bright red and quenching in oil. Then I clean one side of the spring and temper on a bed of dry sand in a tin lid over a flame. This tempers the spring evenly. Quench when the part you've cleaned turns a medium blue.

A good source of small coil springs is old cassette players. Many people give them away because CDs have taken over, and there are all sorts of useful little springs inside.

Hope that helped.

Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration