Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dating Praktica cameras and CZJ lenses Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Dating Praktica cameras and CZJ lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen Brian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know how to tell the age of a Praktica camera, Pentacon lens or CZJ lens from its serial number.

Any know of a good web based reference to dating these items.

regards

Stephen

Jim

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What model Praktica is it? I might be able to put a time frame on it from some references. This is an era that is a bit muddy. The east west split of Zeiss following the WW2 period and the ensuing legal difficulties. Give me a model number or a description of the camera and I will try.

Stephen

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jim

I know the broad age of the camera as it is an MTL3 which I know were made in the late 70s and early 80s, what I was after was anything like the "Zenit" and "helios" lenses wherby the year of manufacture is the first two digits of the serial number.

Mike Otto's prktica-collector.de is excellent as it lists all the models and the years of manufacture, I was just wondering if the serial number can be "cracked" to reveal any more data such as year or even month.

thanks for the help

Stephen

JIM

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen-
Direct answer? Not that I am aware of. Some others on the board may have further insights,wait and see. In the interim you may find it of interest to Google the following
Zeiss Historica and
Something Zeiss to say

LOL,
JIM

Stephen

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim

thanks again for your help

Stephen

R.Vijayendran

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a MTI3 with Carl Zeizz lenses.The body of the camera does not work,the shutters do not work,the photometer does not work,and dont know what not,
Can anyone guide me if I can get this piece restored in India satisfactorily or if I can get a good replacement body in an impeccable condition.The lens are of screw type,

Seanmckinney
Tinkerer
Username: Seanmckinney

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I emailed CZ with the serial number etc etc for a lense of uncertain compatability, it was sold on ebay as for Minolta MD but 'wasnt'. A few days later I got a reply that I think even gave the date of manufacture, I thought that an excellent turn around. From memory the lense was for practica.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration