Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning inside the viewfinder on a s... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Cleaning inside the viewfinder on a spotmatic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berk Sirman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I am trying to clean the viewfinder of one of my spotmatics and I have run into a problem. It seems like most of the dust is right above the focusing screen where I cannot reach it even when the prism is removed. I need to get beneath the lens that goes between the prism and the focusing screen but I do not know how. Do I have to remove the frame that holds the meter needle? It seems to be held in place by 4-5 screws accessible from the top. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Thanks and happy new year.

Berk Sirman

rick

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think you're right... you have to remove the meter before you can get past the field lens. if i recall correctly, the meter comes out attached to the screen/prism module. don't recall a lot of detail though....

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be careful when disassembling a SLR viewfinder. In some cases you can't tell which screws are for holding frames and parts and which ones are for adjustment of the focussing screen, so there is always risk that you have to re-adjust the screen after reassembly.

If there is dust on the embossed side of the fresnel lens don't try to clean it yourself. Take it to the next optician and have it ultra-sonic cleaned. The small ultra-sonic cleaners widely offered are ****** (censored), I once made a trial-purchase and returned it next day.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies. The embrossed side of focusing screen seems to be clean, the problem is on the other side.

On the spotmatic the screws for adjusting the height of the focusing screen is on the bottom, facing the mirror. So I do not think there is any risk of disturbing those screws.

The only problem is making sure not to disturb the meter when removing it. I wouldnt want to cause a bigger problem than the one I am fixing.

Actually the screen on this camera is relatively clean but it is my least favorite and least used spotmatic and I am doing it just for the sake of, not that there is a problem with the camera otherwise. I am just wondering if I can make it perfect. But grit in viewfinder is unavoidable if SLR's.

Any tips for removing the meter would be appreciated. Is it as simple as removing the screws on the top and lifting it off the body?

Berk

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration