Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Swapping Pentax AF K mounts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Swapping Pentax AF K mounts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vito

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to swap the plastic mount on my MZ50 for the metal mount on my PZ10,which gets less use.Any precautions or is this feasible?thanks

John Shriver

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No idea if it is feasible, they may not be at all mechanically the same on the back side.

The caution is that you ought to recollimate both cameras, to get the spacing between the lens mount and the film plane correct and parallel.

On the other hand, realize that a little wear on a SLR's focusing mount isn't a big issue. The distance from the lens to the screen will change by the same amount that the distance from the lens to the film changes. So your focus will still be accurate. So worrying about wear on the plastic mount is a non-issue. (It's why Canon's boasts about the lack of wear in the FL/FD Breech-Lock mount were really rather silly.)

If you're doing it for strength, the plastic mount is probably connected to a plastic body casting.

-- John Shriver
http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Glenn middleton

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That all depends if the wear is uniform and focus was the only issue, when Canon made their statements. Large, heavy lenses and extended pro use can produce wear that not only produces insecure mounting, but also shifts the optical axis. The FL/FD mount prevents this, perhaps not important to the amateur but lens alignment/security was important to my organisation. We even tended to tie our really long lenses/motor drive bodies together with a Novoflex rail when we used the 250 exp backs. Seen some very slack mounts in heavily used kit over the years

Jakub

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I had same idea - wanted to change the plastic mount on my MZ-M for metal one, but the construction of contact pins for lens information transfer are connected another way (soldered) as in e.g. MZ-6. I think MZ-50 and MZ-M are made in same way. No idea about PZ10.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration