Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Program problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 Program problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ryan Morgan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, im pretty new to slr's so go sorta easy on me. Ive got a Canon AE-1 Program and right when i advance the film, it takes the next picture. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks for the help in advance.

kevin

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your problem is a common one. It is likely that the camera has a dirty / no-op magnet. It usually is the one on the bottom but both shutter magnets should be cleaned.

Ryan Morgan

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any way I could do this myself or some way I could get this fixed cheaply? I love this camera to death, but dont have much money at the time.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search the archive for strip down help/information and download the repair manual from www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

The archive will tell you how to remove the covers from the magnetic 'switches' and the manual will help you identify them.

If you are not adept at working on this type of mechanical/electronic equipment, all I will say is that the AE-1P will give you a very steep learning curve. If is is just dirt that is the problem a novice should be able to produce a good repair. Replacing faulty coils will depend on your soldering ability.

Note that you will be able to pick up a good working replacement for far less than a proper CLA and repair.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ryan ...

To the previous post I offer the following.
Find the solenoids per the aforementioned Repair Manual.
Get some automotive masking tape and cut a narrow strip as wide enough to span the magnet faces. This with the tape folded so that both mating magnet surfaces are presented with the adhesive side of the tape. With the solendoid open, slide in the tape as with adhesive side to the magnet face. Operate the shutter. The tape will pick up any foreign matter as the solenoid closes. Re-cock the shutter and do the same thing with a strip of photocopy paper only this time slide out the strip when the solenoid is closed. This will polish the magnet surface. You might have to do the latter (photocopy paper operation) several times.

Be especially careful not to knock or otherwise break the hair-gauge copper wires. You don't want to end up doing unnecessary and quite tricky soldering jobs.

This is the method used by most Pro-Techies - and it works fine. The other possibility is that the mechanical links from the solenoids are stiff, gunked or othewise not freely floating.
The answer to such is obvious.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Ed

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AE1's and P also were famous for getting oil on the magnet faces. The magnet that conrtols your problem is at the rewind end of camera, under the bottom cover. You can cut a slit in the plastic cover to allow access and then use ISOPROPYL alcohol the clean the keeper and the magnet face.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration