Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Tokina 17mm AI weirdness... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Tokina 17mm AI weirdness... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received an older, used Tokina 17mm f/3.5 wide angle lens which I'd recently ordered.

I've attached it to my Nikon EL2, as well as my F, I notice the same phonomenon: DOF preview only works to stop the aperture down when the focus is set to between 2 3/4" and infinity. If the lens is focused any closer, pressing the DOF preview button has absolutely no effect at all.

Is this lens defective, or is this a 'feature'?

Thanks,

-CJ

CJ

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops..clarification: I should have been 2' 3/4", NOT 2 3/4".

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not really familiar with the stop down mechanism on the Nikons mentioned. However I would suggest that if DOF preview does not work when lens is close focused, then the aperture will also not function when the shutter is released. I think the aperture operating lever in the lens is separating from the external linkage as the lens becomes fully extended.

Check the working of the aperture with the camera set on B. However I think a removal of the mount may be required to find out what is either loose or worn.

CJ

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Glenn. And you're right:

I tried the lens with the camera set to bulb and the back open. I get the same thing: The aperture is wide open, even if the lens is set to f/5.6-f/16. Weird.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think glenn is onto it... as the lens racks out, it's running past the end of the aperture linkage. my guess is that someone has had it apart and got it back together wrong.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have this lens in its Canon FD reincarnation, and I had the mount off quite easily. The mechanism was very similar to the genuine Canon setup. Do not know if this information is of any help to you. If you are familiar with the Nikon mechanism and your lens copies the genuine lens, perhaps you will be able to work out what has got misplaced/broken.

However as you have just purchased the lens, perhaps you should send it back for repair.

CJ

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the comments & suggestions. I'm sending it back--swapping it for another one.

From what I've read online, this lens seems like a decent wide-angle.

Cheers!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes the lens is optically very good. The one I have is surprisingly good at max aperture.

William Tarnes

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a moderately good lens per photodo: http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/ToAT-XAF17_35-844.shtml . Not really a Nikkor 18/3.5 or 20/2.8, but not as expensive, either.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration