Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing mold/fungus from camera body Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Removing mold/fungus from camera body « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

andrei

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone...I've looked all over the net for help on this, but nothing came up (except info on removing fungus from lenses...which isn't the case with me).
I bought two Prakticas...one is fully functional, but has spots of fungus on it and around the film-winding mechanism, a bit around the lens-fitting, etc. The other one is in perfect shape, but the light-meter doesn't seem to work.
So i guess my question is two-fold: How do i remove (permanently if possible) the fungus? And in the case where i can't do it myself, would it be cheaper to 1) remove the fungus 'professionally' 2) fix the light-meter on the other camera 3) buy a nother camera body.
Thanks in advance,
Andrei
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean that the chrome plating has spots of corrosion on it? Fungus does no grow on chrome plating. This type of corrosion is quite common on poorly plated or thinly plated parts.

You can remove the spots with a fibre glass contact cleaning brush. The use a very fine artists paint brush to place a small amount of an acidic toilet cleaner (one containing Hydrochloric Acid) on each spot, is another way. Note that the corrosion will have permanently damaged the surface of the metal component. However good model shops sell silver enamel paints that give a chrome effect. If the spots are very noticeable the use of this paint to disguise the corrosion spots does work.

Replacement Prakticas are very cheap, so do not pay to have these repaired. The non functioning meter may just be a corroded feed wire from the battery box. On the other hand if the rest of camera is OK, just use a hand held meter and forget about the internal meter.

I think there may be some details of cleaning chrome plate in the archive.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration