Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT-100 shutter is locked Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta SRT-100 shutter is locked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce McLaren

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't used this camera for many years - at least 15 - and its battery was dead. I took it out of its crumbling Minolta case and tried to dry shoot it and the shutter wouldn't release. I tried reminding and cocking and it went one time and then there is a mechanical jam somewhere in the linkage. Bought a new battery to install. Same thing. Any ideas??

M Currie

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, you should be aware that the only battery function on an SRT-101 is for the meter, and all the camera functions are mechanical. Beyond that I'm not familiar enough with the camera to give good detailed advice, but would suggest a couple of things. First, make sure the mirror isn't simply stuck in the up position from deteriorated foam, which can turn into a gooey glop. A little very gentle pull on the mirror might pop it loose, but be very gentle. Also, try firing it with the lens off, in case the jam is not in the camera but in the lens's aperture mechanism. Finally, also try moving the shutter speed knob around, because sometimes that will allow a sticky shutter to let go.

Bruce McLaren

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the ideas. Mirror is down, not up, and I moved it up and it drops down, but the foam is a little chunky. I have tried firing with lens removed - no difference. Finally, I have tried different shutter speeds and will keep at it. But I appreciate the note. Glad to know the shutter is just mechanical, and the battery controls only the meter. That is what I had thought. I have owned the camera since college and I am 55 now.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Bruce.
Does the meter work with the new battery? If you move the switch to batt check, does that work also? Please let me know. Also, is the new battery installed in the right direction...ie polarity is correct?
Jon

Ed

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a cocking interlock in the wind mechanism in the bottom of the camera. Assuming the camera is cocked, try pushing the advance arm firmly. Sometimes, this will allow the interlcok to reset so the release button can be depressed. Also, the mirror can release without the shutter going. If this is the case, the mirror can be recocked under the bottom plate. there is linkage there, near center, that can be pushed to the wind lever end of camera and it will reset the mirror

Bruce McLaren

Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For Jon - yes, battery check worked with new battery so meter is operational.

For Ed, I've been under the hood so to speak, in the bottom, and poked around with various linkages, but don't really have a road map to execute your suggestions. Any ideas for a diagram and where to release the interlock. Finally, how firmly is "pushing the advance arm firmly"? Again, this camera never gave trouble before but it has sat idle all those years. Not that many rolls were shot - maybe 50 - overall.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for trying to help.

kevin

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an arm that runs from the center of the camera to the winding side. (looks like a thick wire) The end of the arm has a roller that follows a cam on the winding shaft. Push the arm to to re-engage the winding mechanism. Give the film advance lever a test to see if it is locked (ie, ready for a shot). If all is okay, the camera should fire. The battery only powers the meter, it has nothing to do with the mechanical function of the SRT

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration