Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Monitor Six-20 lens/shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kodak Monitor Six-20 lens/shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Kennedy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know how to remove the lens from the shutter on a Kodak Monitor?

I know to unscrew the stop screw from the front lens element and then unscrew the front element from the shutter housing.

BUT HOW TO YOU REMOVE THE REST OF THE LENS FROM THE SHUTTER?

A Kodak repair manual I have for the Flash Supermatic shutter mentions "Tool No. 256." Anyone know what that was?

Any help is appreciated.

Will

Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike,

I recently worked on a Synchro Rapid 800 shutter. On this model, the front (rear) element unthreads from the shutter. The trick is without the tool - probably a large 'flexiclamp' - how to do it? If you use a plier, the helical will most likely get bent and unusable. Not having the tool, I ended up improvising and using a radiator hose clamp with a strip if thin rubber bonded to the inside. The rubber I used was a piece of self adhesive clear rubber used in making glass table top insulators. It's very grippy without being too soft. The rubber was only put on about 3/4 the way around, as the clamp has a bumpy part where the adjustment screw is attached to the clamp. This way the rubbber sort of evens out the inside radius of the clamp. (I hope this makes sense). Anyway, this homemade tool worked well for me and is now a proud addition to my camera tool kit. If you go this route be careful not to overtighten the clamp - the helical is very easily bent. G/L

Will

rick

Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for this, will; i gave up trying to get this element off of my 800.....

: ) =

Mike Kennedy

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I could get the front and rear elements off. It's the doggone middle one that confounds me. I may try your tool trick. There's very little flange sticking up from the face of the shutter, though.

Thanks for the reply,

John Shriver

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a similar problem with a Kodak Vigilant Six-20. In my youth, I'd even tried gas pliers to get that damn element out, no luck. Now, decades later, I went at that lens again. I took a jeweler's saw, and cut a pair of slots into the front of the metal ring of that middle element. Made them to fit the tips on my lens spanner. Then clamped the back of the shutter in wood blocks with curves cut to fit, put in the lens spanner, and wrenched away. (Maybe I added a few drops of oil on the threads as lube?) Came right out.

Of course, I prefer my Monitor Six-20, since it has a better lens, but that Vigilant was my first folder, and it made me feel much better to "unwreck" it.

John Shriver
http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration