Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Reassembling a Canon fd 50mm 1.4 ssc ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Reassembling a Canon fd 50mm 1.4 ssc bayonet mount « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waqa

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used Rick's wonderful guide on how to take apart a canon fd 50mm 1.4ssc bayonet lens and it worked wonderfully. I regreased and cleaned everything but now I'm have troubling putting the lens back together any suggestions?

Also on my canon ae-1 some of the shutter speed numbers have gone yellow and I'd like to clean them and make them nice and white again, any suggestions on what to use?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again; which part of the reassembly is a problem or to put it another way, where are you up to in the rebuilding.

The yellowing of the white painted numbers on the Canon slr, is common occurrence on well used kit. It is difficult to remove the dirt and oils that come from ones fingers. I tend to repaint them as cleanig never really works - you can get a special rub on 'paint pen or stick' for this ( see Micro-Tools cat). However once needing to make the aperture scale visible when on a job, I used 'Tipp-Ex' correction fluid, removing the excess with a lollipop stick sharpened into a chisel point. This 'bodge' lasted for over 3 years and I now use Tipp-Ex on all yellowed lettering/numbers. The wooden scraper easily removes the excess and you get a nice neat job, especially if you apply it with care in the first place. The nice thing is, that it is easily removed with solvents that do not damage the original Canon paint system.

Refering to the long 'Wiki' thread. This is a good example of why, even good instructions aren't always enough.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is my technique for cleaning yellowed engraved numbers:

1. Use fine brush with short bristles moistened with alcohol to scrub out as much dirt as possible.

2. Remove any remaining caked dirt with the point of a toothpick; repeat alcohol brushing.

3. If the white paint has been lost in the engraved area, replace with fresh paint. (I use the waxy paint stick sold by Micro-Tools.)

Waqas

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm on the final stage I reassembly with the lens. Where you put the focusing ring together with the actual lense itself and connect it with the mounting part. I find that I can allign everything correctly I am unable to screw everything back together properly

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I understand right, you have the helicoid with focus ring and rear element/group all fitted together properly. You then align the mount and breech ring on the above assembly but you cannot insert the retaining screws - is this correct?

I assume that the front end is no problem as it is a simple matter of just screwing the bits on.

One final question, did you strip down the helicoid, ie separate all the threaded pieces?

As I have never had your problem when I get your reply to the above, I will strip down one of my parts lenses so that I can see what is happening. The official Canon Repair Manual only makes mention of the coil spring under the aperture ring being difficult to replace/locate. Rick's notes on the reassembly cover all the bases as far as I am concerned, unless I am missing the obvious and somebody out there already knows the simple answer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration