Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh 35 L: any traps ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Ricoh 35 L: any traps ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WernerJB

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody, this is my first encounter with a Ricoh 35 L. Does anybody know of traps like left-hand threads or other pitfalls ?

WernerJB

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cured it from all its diseases, no pitfalls at all, but I find cameras from the 60's a bit more complicated than those later 70's and 80's models: a lot more levers, discs and coupling rings.
Fixed the defective shutter: one of the bades had somehow come off, blocking everything. Re-installed a broken pin to keep the shutter and exposure coupling disks in their place, repaired the fxcked-up winding mechanism, undented the body and cleaned and adjusted the RF. It is a fine camera, even the selenium meter still works perfectly. And it has no rotting light seals at all, but is so cleverly designed that stray light has no chance. (The downside of that is the huge body, you can't have everything.)
One question is still open: it has a "Ricoh S-Kominar F:2 f=4,8 cm". I thought Kominar was a Mamiya brand name ?! (I have a Mamiya Super Deluxe with a 2/48 Kominar).

Can anybody please help clarify the matter ?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not know how Mamiya became involved in the Kominar brand name, but in TLR boom of the 50s/60s I am sure that Kominar were a manufacturer of optics in their own right. For example Walz produced their Envoy 35 range finder with a 7 element f1.9 Kominar - a very good lens, also various TLR with Kominar optics.

As with other Japanese optical companies of this period, perhaps they eventually amalgamated with their main customer (Mamiya), but still provided optics to other camera manufacturers initially.

As it seems that most of their other customers were mainly TLR makers, who went bust/were taken over as the demand for TLR cameras fell. This demise was fuelled by the rise in popularity of the 35mm SLR. So Mamiya probably bought them out in the late 60s, thus owning the brand name.

WernerJB

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Glenn, for your input. Provided you are right, the "S" in the name of the lens could mean "Sekor", a name used for Mamiya's lenses. Later Super Deluxe 35mm cameras carried glued-on name plates on which the original name (engraved capital block letters) had been replaced by Mamiya/Sekor (this gave those cameras a somewhat shabby appearance).
Maybe somebody else knows of more details ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration