Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon em repair/cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon em repair/cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john murphy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,
i have a good em body that has a broken rewind crank,how is it removed and installed?does any one have a spare that i can purchase?also need to clean the focusing screen,can it be removed easily or should it be left in the camera?any help is greatly appreciated

rick

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rewind crank, or rather the part of the chassis that supports it, is a problem area in the EM: it's a molded plastic part that breaks easily and replacement parts are no longer available. Whether it's this part rather than the crank itself that is broke, chances are you'll need another EM for a replacement part.

The screen comes out pretty easily, a single screw just inside the top of the lens mount. be very careful in cleaning the screen, it is delicate and the smallest smudge or scratch is viewed under great magnification through the eyepiece.

john murphy

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the chasis part of the camera is fine the part that broke is the plastic knob itself that holds the crank lever in place just above the flat spring washer that apply tension to the crank.how is the rewind assenbly removed from the body?i have an fg crank assembly that i want to see if i can adapt to the em.

john murphy

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

got the rewind assembly dissassembled just had to unscrew the knob from the shaft while holding the fork,came apart easy.also found in the archieves where the em and fg rewinds are the same so i should just have to use the fg knob and crank and it will look like new.thanks.

Mandy

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter on my Nikon is jammed. I'm not sure what to do, I keep fiddling with the camera but to no avail. It's my Dad's camera and I am absolutely at a loss at what to to. Should I try to take it to a repair shop asap? Any advice?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My personal advice would be to get a quote on the repair and then look at your options. If cost is greater than replacing the body or you are strapped for cash, you should give more details about the problem. I am quite sure that the Nikon experts will be able to come up with the most likely causes of the jam, but I think that this may be your first major repair. In instances like this, I always try to give very specific instructions to someone who is new to camera repairs ( especially when it belongs to their Dad!).

However one of the Nikon experts may have the magic fix, which does not require a major strip down.

Shekhar R

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Nikon FM2/n Shutter malfunction at cold start.
speed 1,1/2 sec fires at higher speed for two three exposure. after that it works ok. what is the problem and remedy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration