Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica R3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Leica R3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello; I have an R3 that dosen't work properly. The shutter stays open for about 51.5 seconds in all speeds except in automatic where it stays open for 26.2 seconds (half speed as manual). It seems to work properly on "x" and "b" when I remove the battery. Is there something fairly easy I can try, This is a safari model in good shape and I don't want to start taking it apart without schematics

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the timing capacitor isn't charging. This can be either a bad capacitor itself or the switches controlling the feeding of the capacitor. Both cases require serious disassembly to a newbie. The R3 isn't the easiest camera to work on. It is a first generation electronic camera...meaning it is generally fixable but there are tons of circuitboards, wires and discreet components.

Two of the switches to check are under the bottom cover and relatively easy to get at to clean. The capacitor is under the center top cover. There is also another switch in that circuit under the right side top cover.

Henry

Steve

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I looked under the bottom cover and had no idea what I was looking at/for. I think I may need a shop to look at it. Any recomendations in southern Ontario Canada? Or any repair manuals on-line

Dave

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Call David Yau at 416-494-8988. He is ex Leitz and knows his stuff. He is located in Scarborough at 12 Fawndale Crescent, M1W 3K1

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration