Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 shutter release button Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon A1 shutter release button « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian Henry

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently fixed the infamous shutter squeak on my Canon A1 which now works perfectly, however on cleaning up a drop of the gun oil I used inadvertently fell onto the shutter release button. Before I realised it some had penetrated inside and a day or so later the camera only worked intermittently.

So I removed the release button and cleaned the L shaped pin, the washers and av-tv switch. The problem however is finding a way to clean inside the button as there must be at least 25 years of dirty index finger in there mixed with the oil. Which solvents would be best? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just squirt naphtha or Ronsonol into it and blow it out with a 'Rocket' blower or air canister. However unless the resulting goo is holding the button down all the time, this dirt is not the cause of your problem.

Ian Henry

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for your quick reply Glenn,no the button is not held down, the spring works fine. When I press the button I get the TTL reading and when I press further a buzzing sound and no shutter release. I pressed down the dismantled button turning it round back and forth and that did the trick, however the gunge is still there. I will clean it as you suggest, many thanks once again.

Maik Duwensee

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian,

when you were fixing your A1,
did you take the top cover off, or did you do it from the bottom.
Do you have instructions on how to get the top cover off?

thanks
Maik

Marc

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon A1, and when I wind the film for a new exposure the mirror will go down like it takes a picture without pushing the fire button, even without the battery. With a motordrive the mirror will function untill the end of the film ?
How can I solve this problem, because I can't take pictures anymore, many thanks

Marc

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration