Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How do I remove top plate on a Nikon EM? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » How do I remove top plate on a Nikon EM? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john murphy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have a nikon em that the light meter works and the shutter speed sounds as if it changes to different light conditions but the red led does not light when the test button is pushed.could be bad/dirty contacts in the switch that need cleaning or a bad led need to remove top plate to check the circut for problems,also the light meter is sticking at the ends so the bumbers need to be replaced as well as the mirror bumber as there are foam particles all over the focussing screen.what is the best/easist method to clean the screen without scratching it?

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a sketch for removing the top cover, which I'll send you if you email me for it.

Jon Goodman has excellent foam kits for the mirror bumper and light seals. He's at [email protected].

The focusing screen comes out through the lens mount - I have a sketch for that too. Jon may have better cleaning advice than I do; you can usually clean off the foam bits with lighter fluid and follow that with a distilled water rinse. Do not rub it with anything.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the lighter fluid to get the foam goo off the metal parts. Don't put lighter fluid on the screen. It is soft optical plastic, and the only fluids you should use to clean it are a mild water/detergent solution, Windex, or vodka (unflavored). The most thorough focus screen cleaning is done with an ultrasonic cleaner. You may be able to get a local optician to ultrasonically clean your focus screen.

Bear in mind that removing and replacing an EM focus screen requires care and dexterity. You run the risk of putting some nasty scratches in the screen if you don't do it right, so proceed slowly and cautiously.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, John. Please go to "Camera Articles" on the Classic Camera Repair Forum...you can see it on this page---over to the left there. When it opens, please go down to "Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions." When that opens, please choose the Nikon EM file and click to open that. You'll see how to remove and replace your focus screen in those instructions--page 3 as I recall. Just follow those instructions/images, and you should be okay. I'd clean any old goop off with a bit of naphtha (as Rick suggested) very carefully, and then I'd wash with warm soapy water and rinse it well..but do not rub it. You can air dry it or pat with a lint-free cloth. Good luck.
Jon

Suzanne

Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
what should I use to clean the (removable) focus screen of my Nikon F, it has some old gooey foam from the mirror bumper stuck on it. Is dishwashing liquid and water enough?

jon goodman

Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd go with naphtha (Ronsonol cigarette lighter fluid is the same thing) to remove the foam...please see above.
Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration