Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Brass Hardware - Rochester Monitor 8x5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Brass Hardware - Rochester Monitor 8x5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am restoring a Rochester Monitor 8x5. This design has a geared rod running across the front of the bed. The rod has a knob, which sticks out of the right side, and is used to turn the rod so that the front can be extended or retracted. I am having trouble disassembling this. The knob won't come away from the rod. So It's stuck in there, making it impossible for me to strip away the varnish underneath. I've tried prying the knob away, but to no avail.

This thing has me at an impasse. Has anybody had any personal experience with the hardware of a 100-year-old wooden camera? Was the rod run through after the bed was assembled, and then given the knob? Or is it of a single piece that was placed there before the bed itself was made? If the knob does come off the rod, what can I use to loosen it without damaging the hardware and/or the wood of the bed itself? Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only by looking very closely will you see if the bed was constructed around the 'rod'. However this is highly unlikely on high end kit. The knob can be screwed on and then retained by a taper pin or just a push fit and pin. Sometimes other components on the shaft hold every thing in place - again held by a pin. I have seen shafts with a square cut groove at the end, a pin or screw in the wooden bed locates in the groove.

It is highly unlikely that knob and rod are one piece, unless knob is of very small diameter. Materials were still costly even back then and nobody was in the business of producing mountains of brass swarf/turnings.

All the ones I have worked on from that period have been screwed and pinned. However research has indicated that they were all probably built by a local cabinet maker, from plans published in a popular book of the time. So the construction may be atypical.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration