Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing lens from Compur Rapid shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Removing lens from Compur Rapid shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Diax L-1 where I have naphtha flushed the shutter. The shutter works great again, but there's gunk in between the two rear lens elements. The lens is a Rodenstock Trinar. I shot a test roll off, and the focus is good, but the pictures are cloudy. How can I pull one of the rear elements to clean the gunk?

BrianShaw

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH, NO... don't say that you left the lens on when you flushed the shutter! I'm not familiar with this camera... but I am familiar with the shutter. You should have removed both lens elements prior to cleaning. I hope someone can help you out!

rick

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The lens cells unsrew from the front and rear of the shutter. To remove individual elements from a cell, there will either be a retaining ring that you can unscrew, or else the elements will be retained by the edge of the cell barrel being rolled over the edge of the glass. In the latter case, removing individual elements is nearly impossible, and reinstalling them is worse.

Rob

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There appears to be a ring around the front of the front element. There are two pinholes in the front surface of the ring. If I get the front element off, I won't have to remove the rear as I can lock the shutter open. What tool would I be able to remove this ring with?

rick

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're in luck. You need a pin spanner to fit those 2 holes. They sell these at micro-tools.com in a variety of designs and price ranges. It is possible to make a substitute tool: I grind down the points of needle nose pliers to make spanners for special applications. Whichever way you go, use the tool cautiously so as not to slip and damage the ring or the glass.

Rob

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I'll see what I can grind down in the garage. I'll let you know if the patient lives.

Rob

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks as a number of times before Rick. I got it. I scuffed the ring a little, but the lens is ok, and clean now. Another patient lives to see another day. You've saved my bacon again. It's amazing what you can do with dollar store pliers and a bench grinder. This particular camera is kind of special. My father gave it to me about twenty-two or three years ago. It's always taken nice shots. Now it's 100% again. Again, many thanks.

Rob

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration