Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Light meter for use with vintage cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Light meter for use with vintage cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

john murphy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay this may be an off subject question but what is a good self contained light meter/exposure meter to use with vintage cameras that do not have an operating meter.afraid the vintage meters may be off since the batteries may not be available so what current makes and models will work with the older equipment?

Rob

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A lot of the "vintage" light meters don't use batteries. They run on light sensitive selenium cells which are decently dependable as long as they haven't been exposed to light for long sustained periods of time. I got a Gossen light meter for a neighbour at a camera show a few years back. If I can give you a "heads up," if you Google "Sunny 16," and practise a bit, you can learn how to set your exposures without needing a meter. Personally, I'm getting better at it. I have a Leningrad 4 light meter that's off a stop on the higher scale, and off by three stops on the lower scale. I don't use a meter any more.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can use any modern meter with vintage equipment. you do not even have to make allowances when shutter and aperture are calibrated in old units. The latitude of modern colour negative film will cover the differences.

The f16 rule can be a very accurate exposure guide when used by the experienced. However remember that when practising this method, you must use colour reversal film. The latitude of colour negative makes a nonsense of using it for practice and it will give you a sense of false security. Use a few rolls of reversal film for practise, and you will really learn how to gauge the correct exposure very quickly.

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the advice from Glenn and Rob is quite sound. To answer your question, if you wish to use a meter, I find a Sekonic L-208 to be a good unit. It is small, uses an easily obtainable battery and will fit in a hotshoe very well (or a cold shoe, for that matter). I got mine at B & H.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration