Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Digital Camera Spares Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Digital Camera Spares « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Sutcliffe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I am trying very hard to find out where I can buy a new LCD screen for my Pentax Optio S4i. I was wondering if anyone could help me. Thanks

Alex

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'fraid not. This forum is for real cameras, not digital ones.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Contact Pentax UK or failing that contact Asahi Photo 020 82328111 www.asahiphoto.co.uk. This firm is staffed by Pentax trained staff and should be able to help or point you in the right direction. As stated this Forum does not deal with digital kit, but the above firm will be known to any classic Pentax user in the UK.

On the point of helping; why do people bother to post negative or unhelpful answers, haven't they got better things to do with their time? A little thought or kindness goes a long way in this sodding world today.

Taylor

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because, Glenn, if you keep on 'helping' digicam owners, this wonderful board will be overrun with digital camera questions and advertising for fly-by-nite digital camera repair shops offering grey-market parts. At least, that's what has happened to some other forums who didn't enforce their rules.

There are many digital and even Pentax-only digicam message boards which provide the type of simple advice you have given, so it's not like you're turning away Oliver Twist asking for more gruel - OK??

Steve

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Listen, Taylor, there's going to come a time when you need the help of someone who doesn't have any interest in helping you but they will do it anyway because they want to take the high road and raise the bar instead of being a dick. -OK??

Richard III

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve: I side with Taylor. And let's raise the bar with our language ("dick").

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come on now, let's not get testy with each other. Especially not over a poster who rudely violates a forums requested boundaries instead of looking in the rear of their owners manual. There they would have found:

Pentax USA Inc.
600 12th St, Suite 300
Golden, CO. 80401
(303) 799-8000 Fax (303) 790-1131

The way I look at it is a rude, out of place question gets what it deserves. And what it deserves depends upon how the question is asked. This particular poster boldfacedly ignored my requested topic boundaries. So a boldfaced rude reply is not out of place.

A kinder, gentler, possibly even helpful answer might even be ok if one is in an especially good mood this morning. Which I'm not...

I mean...the poster asks where to buy a component that he certainly will not have the mental resources to replace (to say nothing about the required tools and equipment) if he doesn't have the mental resources to find the local service center. We are not in business here to take business away from service techs.

Henry

Alex

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 02:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The opening page of the forum contains this request

"And ESPECIALLY DO NOT POST questions about digital cameras." (Original emphasis.)

I don't think it's rude to acknowledge this, and no offence has been intended in doing so. Perhaps it seemed too obvious to tell someone looking for manufacturer's spare parts to just ask the manufacturer.

Ron

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, the only person who ever 'lowers the bar' by using inappropriate language - is you. Time to take your own advice on 'taking the high road' I think.

sloppyjoec

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All i know is steve said "dick" and Henry said "Testy"!

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 04:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frankly speaking, I would appreciate it a lot if in this forum everybody observed the accustomed ways of a civilised attitude towards others, especially in questions of language, as this is our basic tool of communicating. I guess to those who can read this is not a secret, as this is explicitly said in the forum's foreword. A short look at other forums can teach everybody about how low standards can become if one is too liberal in that respect. I am not asking for more political correctness, of course not, as this formal reverence for things like "national flags" is often sheer crap. Sometimes however it is inevitable to call a spade a spade. But also basically respecting each other's integrity is indispensable. Any lack of empathy leads to enmity, sooner than later (see the example above). So before "going apeshit" think twice if this coming out it is really necessary, please. Too much is at stake here otherwise.

William Tarnes

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rules are rules for a reason. Digital posts should simply be deleted immediately, that would solve the problem.

Richard III

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

William: Immediate deletion would be the ideal but that's a lot of work for the boss. We can do our bit for King and Country by not providing the info sought; so that we don't reward bad behaviour. JUST SAY NO to digital and point-and-shoot requests.

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If in despair or simply too ignorant to see another way of getting what they are dreaming of, people simply don't care about what the last straw is like, so I can imagine that someone with a broken pixelcam who sees only a very faint glimmer of hope will quite logically ask for help HERE. This may be seen as and in fact is a violation of the rules they may be aware of or not, and therefore it is also only logical they will have to learn that this is no place for advice or help in matters other than classic photo gear.
Even a compassionate soul must realise and admit this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration