Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Weston master IV Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Weston master IV « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Karl

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I there anyone out there who could help me get inside a weston master IV, I need to get to the light cell.I see how to remove the two screws on the back to remove the name plate but then I find to small hexagon nuts with no access to them.I feel sure this is the way in.

Hope someone can help,thanks.
Karl.

David Ritchie

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karl, try this. Go to the hardware store and take the meter with you with the back plate removed. Look for a supply small diameter, thin wall brass or aluminum tubing about 10 inches long in the plumbing section. See if you can find a size that will fit into the hole and be forced down over the hex nut. These metels are soft and you may be able to make it work. In my case, the top of the screws were serrated and it would have been easier, but give it a try.Good luck.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to add to David's information; model shops sell this type of tubing as well and note that the brass is what is known as half hard. If you heat the very end to red heat and allow to cool, it will be much easier to form a miniature tubular spanner in situ.

P Laskey

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find the screws can be removed with a small pair of pliers with square tips. It takes care but it can be done. I seem to remember posting a Weston dismantling article in the Restoration part of this forum.
PL

Karl

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,thanks all for your swift replys.
I have looked at Weston two's and three's in the past and yes there is a pin-like screw within a recess with just enough space around to get a small pair of pliers in and give the screw a turn.But this Weston four is a puzzle to me.I have removed the back plate and there I can see the back of the pointer,the ciol,magnets etc.To either side are these two hexagon nuts,and the nuts are in hexagon holes,each flat side of nut flush against a flat side of the hexagon hole.I have looked at it for a long time and I can't get my head around it, the only way I see that you can get a hex nut in a hex hole is to just drop it into the six sided space.I have done a bit of work on camera gear, but this very ,very simlple thing has got me beat,I must be getting old.
Thanks again,I will take a closer look at it in daylight.
Karl.

Karl

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,again.
Not sure if I am comming at this the wrong way.I have just been looking at www.westonmaster.com there is an exploded view of a Euro Master simular to a Weston four.I am thinking there may be two screws under the calculator plate,thats if I can find out how to remove the calculator plate without damage.
Karl.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karl,

As you have surmised the two nuts are 'blind' and the screw heads are on the opposite side of the assembly.

Glenn

Karl

Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

I will post my results on this forum,they may be of some use.

Karl.

Karl

Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, this is the way in O.K. Unscrew the large flat screw in the middle of the calculator dial, pull off the dial, note the washer underneath. Also note the locating pin which fits into the small slot in back of dial. Unscrew the two screws left and right. The silver case can now be pulled away from from the black plastic half of the meter, to do this may requir some effort, but it is important to pull apart evenly, a thin blade may help. Do not pull on one end more than the other, if it comes away at an angle you may end up bending internal parts.When the front and back eventually part the pointer button on the side may fall out, logic tells you how to re-fit it. Now you are inside, it is up to you now !

Roberto
Tinkerer
Username: Roberto

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i bought a weston master 3 and i cannot get inside it to try and fix it?
can anyone help?
and also do you know why it may have stopped working?
and how i can fix it?
many thanks
Rob

Kar
Tinkerer
Username: Kar

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Roberto, to get inside the Weston master 3 you first need to remove the oval "name plate" from to back of the meter.As I remember there will be two slot screws at left and right, sometimes what you will find instead of slot screws are rounded blind headed six sided screws,they look like rivets.Use fine pliers to grip the sides or even strong flat tweezers.Take care use firm pressure not brute force.You are on the way now.Try this link,it's for a Weston 2 but they are similar if not the same.
http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/westonmtr/westonmtr.html
When you get inside we can talk some more.
Kar (Karl)see above.

Kar
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Roberto, to get inside the Weston master 3 you first need to remove the oval "name plate" from to back of the meter.As I remember there will be two slot screws at left and right, sometimes what you will find instead of slot screws are rounded blind headed six sided screws,they look like rivets.Use fine pliers to grip the sides or even strong flat tweezers.Take care use firm pressure not brute force.You are on the way now.Try this link,it's for a Weston 2 but they are similar if not the same.
http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/westonmtr/westonmtr.html
When you get inside we can talk some more.
Kar (Karl)see archives 2006.

Kar
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to be repeating myself.
Kar.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration