Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

35mm Fuji camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » 35mm Fuji camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alicia

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I don't know the exact model of this camera, but it is a Fujifilm 35mm 60mm automatic zoom camera. I bought it a few months ago and used it twice -- on the second time I used it, halfway through the roll, it stopped working and this message came up on the display that said "E1". It wouldn't turn on/off, the zoom lens won't open, it won't rewind, it just keeps flashing the message.

I got the film out and popped the batteries out, when I put the batteries back in and hit the power button it came on, only to give me the message again -- and the zoom lens never came out or open at all. Any hints from anyone?

Also -- I don't want to take this anywhere to get it fixed because I can get a used camera for the same price as it would be to get a used one, but if this is a simple fix I would rather do that instead. Also I have limited camera knowledge. Thanks for any help!

Richard III

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must have missed this on the opening page:

DO NOT POST questions about modern P&S's (point and shoot), modern automatic cameras (if it's auto focus it's modern!)

Robert

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feeling a little more charitable, I'd suggest you open it up and resolder *ALL* connections.
Remember that lead-tin solder is a "solid solution", and thus ALIVE, and sensitive to temperature variations, which cause the tin to cyrstalize out of solution, forming a "cold" solder joint.
Those tiny little connections in modern electronics just don't have a chance.Perhaps you could convert the camera to electron tube operation, which uses large enough connections and current to shrug off the cold joint problem. Maybe those silver bearing solders are better? Which is the discussion I really want this post to initiate.
Back to your camera - it's toast, and can join my Minolta Freedom on the dead shelf (replaced with a give-away Canon Sureshot).

Richard III

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, if one insists on being 'charitable' with point-and-shoot owners, this wonderful board will be overrun with point-and-shoot camera questions; that's what has happened to some other forums who didn't enforce their rules. (I paraphrase the wise and noble TAYLOR.) Let's be courteous -- but firm -- and show point-and-shoot and digital the door.

Stuat Willis

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Richard III - this is a moderated forum and it is the prerogative of "Ed" to manage the subject balance and enforce whatever rules.
This wonderful board would be even more wonderful if self-styled bastions of good would not shout and scream pendanticisms and instead, post something useful.

Another Richard 3rd changed the history of England.
It would be most agreeable to see similar contributions from Richard III - but the archives show nothing useful or meaningful from you.
Just bloody-minded pseudo authoritarianism.

Wallow in your delusion, depression, lassitude and misery.
But do try to have a nice day.

Richard III

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuart: Most forums are best moderated from below in my opinion. I don't think a fair-minded reader would say I "shout and scream pendanticisms" or spout "bl__dy-minded pseudo authoritarianism" -- but if you think so that's fair enough. However, more to the point, I think those that ask the moderator to police every post in a non-subscriber forum are being a little too hopeful (naive?).

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is getting stupid. Nothing good comes from a forum or organisation policed from below because as we have seen, everybody has different views and opinions. I have made my comments on this topic known - I would prefer to give a pointer in the right direction - but rules are rules. So the only way to deal with off topic requests is to ignore them completely! Give no reply at all, no quoting of rules or making fatuous comments. In truth it is people who go and state the obvious, in reply to these requests that really annoy me. Be unhelpful to somebody and I will point them in the right direction, just plain ignore the post and I will get on answering repair requests, if I can and let them disappear.

If a wrong request is made why add to the waffle, this is not a bloody debating society and it is getting boring.

In amongst all this crap is a very interesting question on high silver content soft solders. I suggest Robert that you open a new thread, if you really want to explore this useful topic.

Richard III

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand your conclusion -- ignore them. At the risk of turning this into "a bl__dy debating society" (or being "stupid" -- though I probably am) I must ask: What is your rationale? Why is ignoring the intrusive post better than citing the rule? (And to my mind, and you might not disagree on reflection, you're also talking about policing from the ranks; you've just chosen a different tactic: ignoring v. citing -- neither is imposed by the moderator)

I can live with either, but I prefer that people don't provide useful information to off topic requests, because that will encourage them. (But I can't prevent anyone from doing so -- I think -- or hope at any rate -- that people were just being thoughtless.)

And I agree that the solder topic was instructive, interesting, and worthy of a new thread or perhaps an article.

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you just out to cause as much trouble and disorder as you can? Glenn was basically telling you to 'shut up'. The only thoughtless person here is you. I can find nothing posted by yourself that offers technical help, so what gives you the right to start moderating this forum?

Henry

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't moderate this forum much. Oh I look in every day and even read several of the threads. But I don't moderate it closely for a reason. I do not want it to follow only my interests. It should follow its own direction, ie the direction dictated by the most avid current users. Therefore its direction will change periodically as the user base changes.

Sometimes I'll wake up peeved and make a sarcastic comment to an off topic poster, but generally I just ignore them. They are kind of like mosquito bites, if one doesn't scratch them the itch goes away faster. But, of course, sometimes it is just plain fun to scratch at a particularly irritating poster.

There aren't many rules...and even fewer written ones. But one I think worth repeating is: Play nice. Don't argue. If you feel inclined, by all means state your case. Just remember that we are a very diverse population here, so make your comments with this in mind.

Henry

Richard III

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Henry.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration