Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Vito CLR uptake spool doe... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Voigtlander Vito CLR uptake spool doesn't rotate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

aslan ivo

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Voigtlander Vito CLR whose uptake spool doesn't rotate even as I turn the winding level. If there's no film in the camera, the uptake spool turns fine, but if it encounters the slightest resistance, it doesn't rotate. So, when I attach the film leader to it, it can't drag the film out of the film spool.

Hints, suggests? Is something stripped?

M Currie

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just in case you see this before you check photonet, first make sure that the sprocket is turning when you wind on. If it does not turn, or slips, etc., then it's a stripped gear. The sprocket should turn with no slippage. If it turns but the spool does not pull well, there's some sort of clutch buried deep within, that is probably at fault. Unfortunately I have not been deep enough in my CLR to give advice except that it is not accessible by removing either top or bottom plate.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The film advance lever-wind of the CLR drives the toothed sprocket and thus advances the film. The take-up spool has to do virtually no work other than to take up the slack. There is inside the take-up spool a very simple clutch because the effective diameter of the spool obviously increases as more an more film is wound - whilst the sprocket always advances the same amount of film.

To test the integrity of the spool-wind - place a dummy film in the cassette compartment. Place a round section pencil (or something similar) vertically across the film-plane so that it acts as a bridge.
The film will not now engage with the sprocket.
Attach the film leader to the take-up spool and operate the film advance lever. The spool should have enough torque to take up the film. If it won't - then the problem is either within the spool's inner clutch or, in the lever-wind to spool interface which you can easily see if you remove the camera top-plate.

This is the point of diagnosis and determines what you do from there.

Hope this helps

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration