Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AE-1 battery Issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » AE-1 battery Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brad Mullis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently purchased a Canon AE-1 (not Program), and im very new when it comes to SLR`s. The battery should last for a good year, according to everybody, but mine lasts just afew hours. Ive been sure to use lithium batteries, ive made sure none of the buttons were being pressed as it sat un-used. Im very unsure about what the problem is. Has anyone had this problem, or have any ideas on the problem? Could it possibly be a problem with internal wiring, or something of the sort? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gus

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you buy the battery from a decent shop??? Have you got an electric voltmeter to measure it when it goes in to check that it's new and working?

Also, do you turn your canon to lock or just keep it in the 'on' position?

Ed von

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have several Canon AE-1 cameras and the batteries do indeed last close to a year.I'm sorry I don't have an answer to what the problem is, but I know this: On my cameras it doesn't matter if the little shutter switch is turned to 'A' or 'L' the batteries don't run down on their own. That lever isn't a on-off switch but just a safety to keep from tripping the shutter button itself. I've sent you an e-mail.

Ed

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The most likely cause of this problem is dirty insulation/misplaced contacts on the battery test switch or damaged insulation on the wires in the battery test circuit or main feed from the battery box, or a combination of all three.

The dirty insulation on the test switch is just one of those things that can happen on an old, well used camera. I have found that the most likely cause of the damaged insulation on the wiring is sloppy servicing. The wires can be very easily trapped on reassembly, unless care is taken.

I suggest you take it back to the vendor to get it sorted or replaced.

TG

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be a bad PC board. This was a number of years ago, and I don't remember how much I paid. But once fixed, it has stayed that way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration