Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Separating front and middle element o... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Separating front and middle element on Apotar from Isolette « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Damian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,
I'm 'restoring' my first camera, and in this case, it is an Agfa Ventura 66 (Isolette) I found at a junk shop for $5. It's a good camera to cut my teeth on and get used to how things go. With that in mind, I really don't care much if it works when I'm done. :) I've successfully CLA'd the shutter and removed and cleaned the top plate, etc. Problem I'm having is with the front element. The old lubrication is stuck fast. It's been soaking in Ronsonol for more than 2 days now, and I still can't budge it. I've wrapped each element with rubber tape and hose clamps, and it just won't come apart. Can anyone suggest a different solvent that will work better? Should I just let it soak for a week? Give up? Let me know.

-Damian

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Damian:

Keep it soaking. Agfa lubricated their lenses with Super Glue, it takes some time. When you try to unscrew it, you will have to apply considerable force, but apply it slowly. Sort of like a car shock absorber, it will resist fast motion more strongly than slow motion... so if you apply a lot of force and are patient, you may be able to start it moving very slowly and get it off.

Once it's off, it will still need a lot of cleaning. Keep scrubbing the threads with Ronsonol until there is no trace of green crud.

rick :)=

Scott

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I broke a nice lens the first time I tried to "un-stick" an Agfa lens like yours using tools.

The next time, I tried heating the two stuck pieces a few minutes in the oven. Then, I took it out with oven mitts and was able to unscrew the two pieces with just moderate force (no tools). I think the heat softens the old grease somewhat.

On other cameras with hardened grease in the focus threads, I have been able to loosen things up by soaking the stubborn pieces a couple of days in strong alcohol. What I used was industrial-use alcohol. The stronger, the better perhaps.

I had assumed lighter fluid would be the best solvent, and so I tried that first. But, evidently, on that particular sort of grease, the alcohol was a better solvent.

Damian

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott,
I'm going to try the oven thing. I don't really have access to anything other than 70% isopropyl alcohol. I've already damaged the brass on the front of the lens a little even though I was trying to be careful.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Scott

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that auto parts stores and even well-stocked hardware stores will sell pure alcohol for cleaning purposes.

Charlie Tuna

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A link for 99% (as good as you'll need) Isopropyl Alcohol reasonably priced, 16oz/$2.99:
http://www.first-aid-product.com/industrial/isopropyl-alcohol.htm

David Burton

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ran into the same problem on the lens of my Agfa Isolette. Soaking 2 days in mineral spirits did not dissolve the hardened grease in the helicoid threads. Gentle heat from a soldering gun and propane torch did not help. Maybe more heat would have helped, but I was afraid to risk damage.

A few hours soaking in a glass jar partially filled with lacquer thinner and covered with a lid made a BIG improvement. By working the threads back and forth, followed by continued soaking, I was able to separate the elements. Be advised that lacquer thinner is very flammable. Also, remember to grip the lens with plastic or rubber to avoid marring the housing.

Rob

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is how I have done a few after regular soaking in lighter fluid did not work. I put the lense in a shallow metal pan, cover it with fluid and then used the heat from a small lamp to warm the fluid, the warm fluid will circulate and get into the threads and in a few hours it will be easy to unscrew. of course dont ignite the fluid!

Winfried

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually this problem can be solved with a hot air gun in a few minutes. After trying an hour or so with various solvents I used this device and after two minutes or so of heating (without additional solvents) the front element could be unscrewed. This has worked on other "stiff focus" lenses as well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration