Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor SV shutter cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Prontor SV shutter cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harv

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having my first go at cleaning the shutter from my Agfa Record lll by soaking and rinsing with Ronsonol. I've gone through the process twice and removed a fair bit of debris but when it dries off the blades of the shutter and aperture have a lot of marks on them similar to water stains. They went away when soaked the second time but now a new set of them have appeared. I this anything to be concerned about?

Winfried

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 05:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually not - but I wonder where the stains come from??? I never had this problem when cleaning shutter or aperture blades (and for some time I used Ronsonol, too). Maybe you should wipe the blades more carefully and use a new tissue or an unused part for it for each blade.

Harv

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Winfried. I hadn't been wiping them for fear of getting lint fibres on them - just letting them air dry. That could be the problem because quite a bit of fluid sits on them during the drying process. One more try!

Winfried

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, most paper tissues leave some tiny fibres on the blades but it is no problem to blow or brush them away.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A small contribution.

You can polish such blades with a cotton-bud which has been touched with graphite powder. The blades will come up beautifully - and it helps for smooth operation too.
You only need a VERY SMALL amount of graphite - and you should blow clean afterwards otherwise any residual graphite particles may find a home on the surfaces of the optics and manifest as little sparklers. This procedure has always worked fine for me on literally hundreds of shutters - and I never had a problem.

You won't get cotton-bud fibres jammed if you stroke "away" fron the leaf overlaps. If you use tissue you will spend forever trying to remove little specks.

Hope this helps

Harv

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem solved. I merely had to spend a few minutes just touching the blades with tissue until no more fluid appeared and they stayed clear. I found some great stuff for doing temporary fixes on the bellows on this camera but will do a separate posting with it. Thanks for your input gents.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration