Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 lens repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 lens repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Serretta

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 50mm f1.4 MD lens that is showing just a tiny bit of fungus on the inside of the front element and I would like to stop this in it's tracks. Before I go the trial & error route, can anyone please tell me how to access this element group - from the front and if so does the front bezel screw out, or from the rear? There are no spanner key slots in the front bezel. I have eliminated fungus on many Oly Zuiko's before, so I do know how if it's not too far gone. Thanks guys.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to use a rubber tool (or rubber gloves) to unscrew the trim ring around the front element. After that is removed, you will expose the screws for removing the filter ring and getting access to the front element.

seanmckinney

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Graham, how easy are the std 50mm Zukio to strip and rebuild, I have a 2nd hand one that needs some grit or similar removed?

Graham Serretta

Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean - Apologies for the delay - to disassemble a Zuiko lens you must have a lens ring spanner - the adjustable type with the two blades for unscrewing retaining rings and lens bezels. Using anything else will just damage the ring.

First remove the front bezel by unscrewing anti-clockwise.You will then be able to unscrew and remove the front group of elements, also anti-clockwise. I use a clean piece of chamois leather to grip the lens group with. To get to the rear group, first remove the three retaining screws that fix the rear plate in, (some of the longer/larger lenses have four screws) and remove the plate, noting it's alignment with the lens barrel and taking care not to lose the DOF previev button and the lens mount catch button and their springs. Now you can remove the iris actuating plate and spring - again note the alignment and don't lose the spring. The rear element group can now be removed by unscrewing anti-clockwise. Assembly is the reverse.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration