Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F2 exposure counter jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon F2 exposure counter jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alf Fulford

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The counter on my battle-scared F2 is stuck on 8 exposures and will not reset when a film is changed. There is a dent in the top cover close to the window that may be pressing down onto the disc.

Is it possible to remove the top cover and remove the dent or is there an easier way to release it.

Thanks

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the dent is the cause of the jam, then you will have to remove the top and smooth out the dent. If dent was there before the jam occurred, you could try slapping the camera base into the palm of your hand. This my give you temporary use of the counter.

Alf Fulford

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glen,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried your suggestion but only finished up with a sore hand, so it looks as though the top cover will have to come off. Any suggestions as to how I can tackle this job would be most welcome.

Looking at the bad state of the screw heads it would appear somebody has already tried to remove the top cover. I was a toolmaker along time ago so I do have most of the tools to tackle this my self but need some guidance on how to proceed.

Thanks and regards - Alf

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alf,

Sorry I cannot help in the Nikon stripdown department, never worked on one. However I am sure that somebody here will have all the details. Do not know if there is a down loadable repair manual available. However OTC Ltd, www.oldtimercamera.com have a good range of Nikon repair manuals. Go to the repair manual section and have a look. For what you want to do it is mostly common sense, but it is things like switch positions/shutter-ASA setting/lt or rt handed threads, where help is so useful.

Glenn.

Alf Fulford

Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn
Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Alf

Sover

Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Alf,

Removing the F2 winder side cover is not hard, but you need two special tools, to remove the shutter collar and winder nuts. Home made tools will work, but they must be a good fit.

http://www.geocities.com/sover_wong/Nikon_F2_Repair_Service.html

Sover

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration