Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa bellows fix Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Agfa bellows fix « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harv

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just did a fixit on a leaky Agfa bellows with some rather promising looking stuff called dimensional fabric paint from a craft store. Brand name is Polymark. It dries glossy so a few dabs on the outside corners aren't obvious. I did the big application on the inside and according to the instructions this stuff is machine washable after 72 hours so I'm thinking it would have to stay flexible. Temporary I know but worth a try.

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My bellows repair experience has been limited to pinholes in the corners which I repaired by pushing pins through the holes , opening the back, and coating the pinpoints with black silicone rubber (RTV) and then pulling the pins back out thus plugging the holes. I left the camera open 24 hours to let the rubber cure. so far it has been successful. Let us know how your system works.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fabric paints, or should I say some of them do work very well. My original examples here in UK were a bit hit and miss, but Jon Goodman sourced me a bottle that works brilliantly.(Have not got bottle to hand at moment but will give details if required). Unfortunately this brand does not seem to be available in the UK - probably not looked hard enough.

All I will say is that the paint seems to be more durable where it is applied over actual fabric strands and not a coated bellows surface. As Harv says it dries to a nice finish, so I painted the whole of the outside surface of a small bellows - worn corners and undamaged bits - as an experiment. The result looked stunning, but after a time the paint on the undamaged areas started to lift in places. The damaged corners remained and still are light tight. This could be due to the initial preparation/cleaning being wrong or insufficient.

I normally apply the paint to both sides of the hole/cracking and do it 'wet on wet'.

kevin

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another product that works well is liquid latex. It can be bought on-line. just search for "liquid latex." But a warning. The supplier will probably be a sex fetish shop, apparently some people like to paint this stuff on their bodies.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration