Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb cleaning the viefinder eyep... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon FTb cleaning the viefinder eyepiece « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marcin M.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the beginning excuse my English - I'm not a native speaker.

I’ve recently bought a Canon FTb camera and I need to clean its viewfinder eyepiece it is the only part of it that need cleaning so I decided to do it on my own. The problem is how to get there? I have no experience with Canon’s cameras.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The top plate on the FTb is quite easy to remove, but you will need a pin wrench to remove the pin face retaining screws on the advance lever and the shutter speed dial and a good fitting + point screwdriver. You can make a substitute pin wrench from a pair of engineers or draftsman's dividers or if you can buy 1mm drill bits, from a piece of hard wood and two drill bits. Just measure the distance between the holes and drill two 1mm holes in the wood at that center dimension - 10mm for the advance lever screw, if memory serves me right. Then push the drill shanks into the holes ie you want the smooth part of the drill to fit into the holes in the screw top. Both screws undo anticlockwise.

Make sure shutter is in uncocked/released state.

The lever comes off easily, just note how the washers etc fit. For the shutter/asa dial, set a known asa and shutter to B. Hold dial and remove screw, lift off the dial assembly. Note that the shaft and attached circular plate may rotate very slowly clockwise when you lift the dial. The movement is very small, just visualise the original position and turn plate back, then mark this original position with a fine marker pen. If plate does not rotate after lifting dial still mark this original position - it aids reassembly.

So to remove top plate:-

Remove battery screwed cover.
Remove trim plate from around lens mount.
Remove rewind knob by placing screwdriver blade in rewind shaft slot and unscrew the knob anticlockwise. make sure you do not push the shaft back into the body.
Remove all the + head screws from top plate, 2 hidden by the removed mount cover, 2 on back and 1 at hinge end.
Remove the advance lever and shutter dial.
Lift off the top plate. Take great care the plate is connected to body by a wire to hotshoe. Do not strain this wire.
View finder is held by 2 + head screws, remove and clean inner surface of lens. Also do not forget to gently clean the back surface of the prism. Blow or brush away any dust/dirt that is revealed on top of body.

Reassembly is just the reverse of the above.Just make sure ASA is at previously set value and align 'B' with mark, when you refit dial.

By the way you never need make any excuses about your English, puts my foreign language ability to shame.

Best of luck with the cleaning, come back if you need more information.

Marcin M.

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much. It seems quite easy.

geetings,
Marcin M.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration