Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax II Repair (almost there...)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Contax II Repair (almost there...) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

This subject has probably been covered somewhere yet is still eluding me.

I'm finally getting the leatherette back onto the Zeiss back plate. The leatherette has been prised off with an Opinel and carefully removed and fed with tannins and oils. I've sandpapered the glue and rust off and used a rust blocker and anti-oxidant to protect the metal chassis and then gloss-painted the chassis.

The leatherette hasn't shrunk throughout all this time. Yet there are 4 bumps on it and nothing I do will make them go away.

This is probably so easy to sort out, and on the last hurdle to finishing this repair, the last thing I want is the 4 bumps to remind me that I've failed.

Any ideas? Can these molehill bumps be flattened or removed in any safe way?

Marco

Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you glue the leatherette back into place these bumps pretty much "disappear"....

Wayne

Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RJ

I'd agree with Marco. You'll still be able to see where the bumps were in the leather, but they'll be pretty much flat when you glue it on.

I inadvertantly stretched the leather on my Contax II when I pulled it off to get to the bumps - had to trim a little off the ends to make it fit properly.

Cheers
Wayne

RJ

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marco & Wayne,

Many thanks.

I've reglued it on and there are no residual bumps left. One way to achieve this is to glue on both surfaces until the glue is primed for bonding. When the leatherette is in contact, using the tip of a cotton bud to apply pressure, the former bump is tacked down firmly relative to the rest of the leatherette.

Here's the result of the overall repair - I'm sorry it isn't too obvious on the screen:

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/Contax%20III/IIIa.htm

And here's one I did earlier stripping the leatherette with a replacement part:

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/pages/Antiqua/Kiev%20IVa/IVa.htm

Best regards.

Wayne

Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great news RJ

That III looks beautiful! By the way, you have a magnificant portfolio & I'm very jealous...

Cheers
Wayne

RJ

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wayne,

I'm looking forward to using the III more.

Not sure how I ended up with a II on my work desk in almost 100 pieces...

Thank you too for your kind words.

Kind regards,

RJ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration