Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM10 focus screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus OM10 focus screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

seanmckinney

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In got one along with a 300mm zoom off ebay. The camera looked nice enough until I looked through the view finder and something was obviously very wrong. I took the lense off and the focus screen was sat on the sloping mirror.
Assuming terms are agreed and I keep the camera etc I have four questions
1) how do I replace this, if a layman can? I have been told by one shop that this is not an item on this camera that Olympus meant to be interchangable or removable. One other repair shop, in Glasgow, said they would do it FOC.
2) what is likely to have caused it to come loose and drop out in the first place?
3) is what ever caused it likely to have damaged anything else?
4) assuming that no other harm has been done and that it is worth trying to replace the screen will any marks on the screen be of any consequence to the photographs produced? Personally I dont think so.
Thanks.
During web searches I have found only one reference to replacing this and that was following its removal for cleaning and I scanned 250 titles on here

Oh what fun!
Thanks

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Firstly, marks on focusing screens are just annoying and do no harm, although I have seen one screen with the split prisms so badly damaged as to be unusable.

On certain slr it is possible that a heavy knock can dislodge the screen. Can happen on one of the early cheap EOS bodies I think. In most cases the screen is not in any metal/plastic frame and just clips into the underside of the prism housing.

So your solution really depends on how the screen was held in the first place. My guess is that Olympus had the screen just clip in, not for cheapo reasons but for size cutting considerations.

My only concern would be if there were any shims used in the screens positioning. I assume that all you found was the screen, so perhaps no shims used. However what if the screen's displacement was the result of DIY going wrong? Unlikely, but until its back in place and you have some pics - who knows, only the OM experts which I am not.

You should not take the first shop's comments as meaning the screen will not come out, read it as under normal circumstances. The second repair shop's FOC indicates that it is a simple locate and push into place. Assuming that they know their cameras, by examining the screen you should be able to see how the screen is located. ie does it have locating lugs that are beveled on one side to enable you to push it in. Therefore you should be able to do it yourself. The only proviso being that there might be a special 'tool' that stops the screen getting damaged eg T90 screen tool.

So screen came loose because carrier used parcel as a football! once replace I would think camera will function correctly. If you are near Glasgow, drop the camera in for a bit of FOC.

seanmckinney

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers Glen, I have had a look at the OM10 service manual down load and think there are some, from memory "flat washers" above what looks to be the focus screen and looking in the camera there may be one or two very thin flat washers, = shims, there. The seller has responded and said he just clipped it back into place so it was known about and I think he said the camera took descent pictures afterwards. Glasgow is across the irish sea from here so it would be a postal job. I'll have a go myself I think

ken

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

seanmckinney

I haven't been able to locate an OM10 manual, but if it has interchangeable focus screens then it is a simple matter with the little tool that is suplied with replacement screens. I have done it on my OM1. However, I can imagine it is fiddly without it.

The tool looks a bit like a pair of tweezers. You can see pictures of one if you go onto ebay. There are a couple on sale; search on: om focus

As Glenn said, marks on the screen won't affect your pictures at all.

Good luck and enjoy using the Olympus. I have had my OM1 for over 31 years, and it is brilliant!

Ken

Robert

Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The OM-10 screen is very similar to the OM-1/2 screens, except that there is no tab. I recall reading instructions making OM-10 screens be cutting off the tab (which is the part the special tweezers grab).
In any event, an Olympus tech can remove, clean and replace the screen as a matter of course.

Jim

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

search the Olympus OM faq and you will find what you need, http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html

I have changed the focus screen on mine - its very easy!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration