Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro 35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica electro 35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just purchased an old electro 35 off ebay, it appears to be in very good condition,all the functions appear to be working all though I have not yet tried it with a battery,one thing it does not do is open the shutter when i test it, does it need a battery to do this or could there be a problem, also is it within a beginners skill set to clean the rangefinder glass.I'm new to the older camera's so appoligies for being so uninformed on the matter. Thanks in advance for any help. David

Ben

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter should open for 1/500 of a second with no battery. I have encountered ones, though, that would not open at all. In those cases, I passed on buying, although I know that this isn't an option in your case.

Are you sure that the shutter isn't opening? Open the aperture up to 1.7, open the camera back, hold it up to a bright light, and fire the shutter. With leaf shutters like the one in the Yashica, I've found this to be the only reliable way to tell whether the shutter is opening or not.

The rangefinder is easy to clean. You will need to remove the top plate by removing the advance lever, rewind crank, and ISO dial. Then remove the two screws on the battery check button plate(watch the button, it will likely fall out). Finally, remove the other silver screws, and you should be able to gently lift up the top plate. If it doesn't come free, check to make sure you have all the screws, and then gently wiggle it. Sometimes some adhesive from the covering worked its way up under the top plate.

Once you're inside, you'll see a cover over the rangefinder. Gently cut underneath this with an exacto knife to free it, and it should come loose. You can then(carefully)clean the rangefinder glass. Be extremely careful around the semisilvered mirrors-if you ruin them, your rangefinder is useless. It may be best to just use a blower brush on these. Also be sure to clean the glass in the top plate.

Recement the cover over the rangefinder, and put the top plate back on in the reverse order. To reset the ISO dial, turn it to where the iris in the light meter window is at its smallest point. Then line the smallest ISO on the indicator plate up with the index, and tighten it down.

Biff

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you'll need this
http://www.yashica-guy.com/index.html

biff

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and this wacky site has manuals

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/instructionmanuals.html

Biff

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and finally

http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/photo/cameras/yashica_gsn.html

matt sometimes posts here. cool dude.

i'll stop playing at help-desk librarian now :)

David

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info guys, I tried the 1.7 setting and bright light but no shutter action,not looking good!

charlie

Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know which Electro G you have but on mine the wire from the battery holder to the check battery sitch pad had corroded through. If you can remove the switch plate see if their is continuity from the battery holder terminal and the pad on the PC board under the switch. I had to replacd the wire from the battery holder to that switch PC board. See website "provins.org.uk" for repair procedures.

David

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news I took the lense off and got to the mechanicals of the camera, after a little playing around I worked out what should be happening, I think one of the cams(not sure what there real name is?)had become misaligned, after operating the wind on and shutter a couple of times I started to hear a definate shutter sound unlike before, I then checked the shutter as Ben had described above(cheers mate)and everything looks hunky dory now. I'm excitedly awaiting for my battery adaptor from the Yashica guy, Thanks for all your help.David

kevin

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yashicaguy has nice adapters but I've just wrapped the battery in light cardboard and stuffed tinfoil in one end.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration