Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic mirror won't return Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax Spotmatic mirror won't return « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tony

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have a Pentax Spotmatic with a mirror that doesn't return at slow speeds. The problem is intermittent - i.e. the camera works fine when it is warmed up and/or the shutter is fired numerous times.

I am guessing that it is gummed up somewhere? There is gear at the bottom of the camera with a stud that knocks a lever out of the way to let the mirror return. It looks like the stud is not hitting the lever with enough force at slow speeds (the mirror returns when I move the lever with my finger). The foam at the top of the mirror cage doesn't appear to be sticky.

Does anyone have any advice about lubricating the relevant parts please? I have already removed the top, bottom, front covers and the mirror cage.

Thanks

Tony

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one possibility is that the curtain tension has weakened such that the second curtain doesn't have enough fource to release the latch lever. Open the back and using a thumb and middle finger, grasp the second curtain and gently pull it toward the wind end of the camera--there should be tension, but not strong--the spring should definitely want to pull the curtain towards the rewind end. If it seems weak I can tell you how can check adjustment.

tony mcnicol

Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I've tried a few different things with the camera. Here is a summary of what has happened.

I adjusted the curtain tension rollers (3 full turns for the second curtain (at the front of the camera) and 4 for the 1st curtain (the 4th was because the shutter seemed to be capping).

That didn't seem to make any difference to the mirror return so I popped a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the mirror return gear with the stud, and the adjoining little gear. When I did that the mirror started returning at all speeds. However, having reassembling the camera and shortly after taking a test film the problem returned.

The test film was pretty good but it looks like the camera is now capping at 1000 (completely blank frame) and at 500 (left half of the negative is darkened or black). Other speeds were OK. For some reason I can't see any capping when I look through the back of the camera as per Tomsy's instructions.

Today I added another couple of drops of lighter fluid, blew it out and then added a couple of drops of oil. The camera is working OK again but will have to see if that lasts.

Do I need to re-adjust the curtain roller? The 2nd curtain has had 3 turns and the 1st 4 turns so far. Did I under adjust or over-adjust? I would appreciate it if someone could explain the relationship between the curtain tension and capping in a Spotmatic.

thanks

Tony

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration