Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Is it possible to repair a camera tha... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Is it possible to repair a camera that fell in liquid? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cara

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a beautiful digital camera that was dropped into an entire bowl of punch (horror story). It's been sitting in a box, dead, for the last 2 years. Is there any possible way that it can be fixed?

Richard III

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cara, Does this seem to you like the right forum for this question? Our kind and benevolent moderator states on the opening page: ESPECIALLY DO NOT POST questions about digital cameras.

So, I ask you again, does this seem to you like the right forum for this question?

Ben

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably not on a digital...it's about like what happens when you wash your cell phone or drop it in the toilet(both of which I've seen happen recently, by the way). With mechanical cameras, you could sometimes clean the rust out, but a digital camera will probably shorted and the LCDs will be shot even if you get everything dried out.

Cara

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A - I clearly didn't read the intro.

B - Thats what I figured, thank you.

Old Poultney

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It may just be suffering from one hell of a hangover! You should let it rest in the box again for a few more years, but this time make sure you let it lie down in a more comfortable position. Alternatively, you could offer it a large glass of single malt by way of a 'hair of the dog'. Always works for me.

Richard III

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats what I figured, thank you.

Mistakes happen.

dan

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gee, you didn't have to be so rude...

Richard III

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rude, Moi?

Peter Lewis

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What model camera was it? Almost anything can be repaired if you are willing to spend enough money!

rick

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dropping anything in a bowl of punch and then leaving it unattended for 2 years is not a recipe for success. Had it been removed instantly and thoroughly flushed clean with distilled water, there might have been hope (though probably not much).... but that was back in 2004.

The good news I guess is that a 2-year-old digital camera would be due for replacement by now anyway.....

Punch Drunk

Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>Dropping anything in a bowl of punch and then leaving it unattended for 2 years is not a recipe for success.

It's not a good recipe for punch either. :)

Alex

Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think you can fix it. The punch is probably ruined now.

Mschnittker
Tinkerer
Username: Mschnittker

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would contact the manufacturer and ask how much to repair the camera. You may be surprised how cheap it will be i.e. less than $100. I don't know why but guess they have components that just plug in once the back is unscrewed. Saw same a million years ago when my friend's $350 HP-35 calculator died (yes - $350 in 1972 and you couldn't program it!). They popped off the back, banged it on the table to get the unit inside out, put another in, snapped it back together and handed it to my friend, good as new. I was stunned to say the least. Welcome to the future I thought.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 98

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bought a Minolta SLR years ago after some nerd had sumerged it in a cesspit to give the poor thing what he thought was the right punishment for not working properly.
Not just because I didn't like the smell of it I left it unattended for more than two decades. I had then no idea I was going to tinker with old cameras and tought they were too complicated inside to be serviced or repaired by ordinary mortals! (How wrong one can be about one's hidden talents !?)
Not so very long ago I was in desparate need of spare parts, and to my great surprise the camera's awful smell had gone, and I realized the body was a fine source of spares!
Not only the old 101's mirror box is inside a 303b now, but also various other parts (CdS cells and the like) turned out to be fully functional and found their way into newer camera bodies.

Maybe drowned pixelcams will one day turn out to be as precious or otherwise appreciated goods if you store them long enough. You never know.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration