Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How do I lift the ASA disc on OM10 wi... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » How do I lift the ASA disc on OM10 without...... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

seanmckinney

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

scraping the heck out of the disc or destroying it.
I am trying on a scrapper first but this 'selector' and the B/auto/manual selector on my Dad's OM10 are very stiff, I have difficulty turning them. I want to strip this area and clean it.
Looking from the underside of the scrapper's top cover it looks like there is a screw under the disc but this disc is, I think, stuck down according to the pdf manual I have down loaded. I can see two small holes through which the disc could be reached from the underside of the camera top but I suspect that pushing on the disc through those holes risks denting the disk or damaging the 'mechanism' in the jerk that will presumably follow the glue giving way.
So are there any tricks?

Richard

Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean if this is same as an OM20, which I believe it to be, the disc is glued on. I recently bought a mint OM20 and the disc was loose and would actually fall off.I recemented it with a small amount of contact cement. If this was typical of the factory cement I would think that very careful prying would dislodge it. Use a very thin pry tool such as a section of razor blade so as not to distort the disc.
Hope this helps.

seanmckinney

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ta Richard

seanmckinney

Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By email it was suggested a little carefully applied heat from a micro gas-torch softens the glue. I didnt have one to hand but heat works although you have to be very very very very very VERY careful with a full sized blow lamp, even then I just crinkled the edge of the scrapper's dial. However an electric soldering iron works a treat. The one I usd was/is a Weller 60W with an about a 3mm tip. Move the iron around the disc as you prise?? the disc up with a needle, in fact you more slide the needle underneath as the glue softens than prise

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration